FORUMS: list search recent posts

Get Avid media to original format between changing Sequence formats

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria Wardian
Get Avid media to original format between changing Sequence formats
on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:34:27 am

Avid 6.0 help please! We’ve ingested footage for a TV show in low-res (10:1) 30i and are editing in 30i and/or 1080i. So we’re keeping everything interlaced in our offline editing workflow.

When the project was organized, we created sequences putting all the clips from each card of footage into separately organized sequences. Unfortunately half those daily sequences created were made as 1080p/29.97 (rather than 30i or 1080i as needed). So the media in those 29.97p sequences naturally want to be rendered at that and has a green dot over it.

Before we noticed the problem, our writers have already been taking footage from those inccorect 29.97p sequences and editing it into their 30i/1080i sequences. Now the writer sequences are mostly full of unnecessary green dots. It’s strange to me that Avid is keeping media at 29.97p when it’s edited into a 30i sequence AND even though it’s originally 30i.

My question now is, how to fix all this footage back to 30i as it’s supposed to be and originally is? Is there an easier way than recutting it back in from the original media?

*I’ve already tried: using the effects editor to “promote” the footage which only puts a speed effect on the footage and leaves it still wanting to render. Also, I tried editing the bad mixed sequence into a new 30i sequence with nothing changing.

Thanks for suggestions/guidance!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Get Avid media to original format between changing Sequence formats
on Apr 17, 2013 at 8:06:19 am

Sounds to me like media has been crested with the content flagged as P rather then i
If if was just the sequence wrong you could modify the sequence format and the use the sequence refresh comand the( motion (adapters) to correct it..
But if the media has been ingested or transcended in the wrong format then it would have to be re-created.
Media management just isn't something you can risk messing up!

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Maria Wardian
on Apr 17, 2013 at 3:38:57 pm

Hi Pat - It was definitely a bit of poor media management that we're now trying to fix. I know the media was ingested correctly (1080i/59.94 shot media ingested at 10:1 30i) which is something we've been working with for multiple seasons now. The difference definitely was that the media clips were for some reason organized in 1080p/29.97 sequences. The writers on our project then created 1080i or 30i sequences and used the incorrect 1080p sequences to write with. The weird thing to all of this is even though the media was ingested 30i, it's not recognized as such even when edited into a 30i sequence only because it's being edited into a 30i sequence from a previously organized 1080p sequence.

To further illustrate, when I do a match frame from the 30i sequence from the confused 1080p clips, it finds the original media and when I overwrite the original media over the 1080p clip, green dot goes away. This may have to be our solution, slowly over cutting the correct media in one by one. All because 30i clips were originally laid into a 1080p sequence. It just seems like there's an easier way to correct 30i media in a 30i sequence.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 17, 2013 at 5:16:52 pm

Have you tried refreshing the sequence and selecting motion adapters?

It shouldn't do that the clips in the sequence should get a green dot to indicate they don’t match the project format (including I P differences) So unless somebody consolidated or Transcoded the media (which would then bake in those motion adapters the sequence refresh should remove the unwanted motion adpaters.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Maria Wardian
on Apr 17, 2013 at 6:32:07 pm

Pat - You've saved us a TON of time! Refreshing this sequence did the trick. Thank you!!!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 17, 2013 at 9:31:44 pm

Happy its sorted for you.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 17, 2013 at 9:32:20 pm

Happy its sorted for you.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:12:19 pm

If the footage was truly interlace, then you would have seen the green dot in the 1080p/29.97 project as it wouldn't have matched. In theory, mix and match will change the green dot on the fly, when the essence matches the project type. The only time this will not be the case is if while in the 1080p/29.97p project, there was a transcode. At that time, you get a long message about how it will change the media to the project type. Did something like that happen?

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]