FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing mp4 files into AVID

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Seltzer
importing mp4 files into AVID
on Apr 16, 2013 at 1:11:07 pm

Can I simply import mp4 files into AVID 5? Someone shot the footage, downloaded it and recorded over the original cards.

It's about 2 hours of a class lecture that's ultimately going up on the web. I'll probably break it down to 20-30 minute low res videos. So I'm looking for the easiest solution.

Many thanks in advance for any specific directions - if simply importing the files isn't the way to go.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: importing mp4 files into AVID
on Apr 16, 2013 at 1:45:00 pm

Straight importing will work, but slower than linking via AMA (and transcoding to your target resolution)

I would not recommend linking and editing via AMA using MC 5 and clips this long.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: importing mp4 files into AVID
on Apr 16, 2013 at 3:01:42 pm

You can import it, but since MP4 files don't typically have timecode, it might be problematic come online. I did a test a while back where I imported the clip and the Avid assigned it a starting timecode of 01:00:00:00 and then I AMAed the same clip and transcoded it, in that case the starting timecode is 00:00:00:01. The issue being, come online, if you batch import you'll have to batch import the entire 2 hour clip at high res.

I'd recommend using MP4 to QT (http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/66/mp4-to-quicktime/3)
That will convert it to MOV with timecode so that you can AMA and transcode. Edit to your heart's content. Then you can relink to it for online and just transcode what you need.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]