FORUMS: list search recent posts

diff version of MC see Canon "timecode" differently

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
diff version of MC see Canon "timecode" differently
on Apr 13, 2013 at 6:31:43 pm

I'm working with a Canon directory (DCIM) and different version of MC are delivering different TC values when linking via AMA

MC6 = all clips start at 00
MC5 start at 08 with start times ascending (good) but values for clips overlap (bad)

for laughs I tried FCP 7 and got 13 hour values.
An Avid MC5.5 off-site also delivers 00 TC values when linking via AMA.

What am I to believe? Tips and guidance very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
Re: diff version of MC see Canon "timecode" differently
on Apr 13, 2013 at 6:58:39 pm

I meant to add this (℅ John Pale) from another CC post that helps frame the issue...

You might want to look at getting QTChange from VideoToolshed to add time of day timecode to the movie files from the Canon THM files. Avid appears to derive timecode on 5D footage from the file creation time/date, which is different and can be a problem under certain conditions.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 13, 2013 at 11:44:55 pm

Unless you write the timecode into the .mov file with QTchange, I would suggest you leave it as 00:00:00:00 as that is what is in the file - the camera does not write timecode into the file (unless Mark III). As long as the filename stays unique, then it is not an issue - I did a DI conform with over 200 .mov VFX files that were all 00:00:00:00 in Resolve with no issues since the filename was unique.

And speaking of Resolve, if you do go back to to the camera originals for a conform and do not write the timecode into the file, then it will use 00:00:00:00.

Michael

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Apr 16, 2013 at 1:51:28 pm

Thanks Michael,

This really hosted my confidence not to sweat the embedded Canon TC value and go with 00

Best,

Paul

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 16, 2013 at 2:16:25 pm

Just make sure the camera doesn't start counting over again for filenames. Some do when removing battery and such - so make sure that is part of the production to postproduction procedures and you should be fine.

The "time of creation date" does get converted to a time of day timecode and can be found in the Auxiliary TC1 column. I do find that useful when working with a director and you get the "I'm sure we shot something on Tuesday after lunch" and you can use that to narrow down the range.

It's sort of a decision you need to make before editing - insert the timecode as a real value with QTChange or go with 00:00:00:00 and make sure that filenames are unique (well this should always be the case, but even more so when timecodes are all the same). This ensures that any third party application will respond to the clip the same way - such as in an Resolve conform.

Michael

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Apr 16, 2013 at 2:17:53 pm

that's "boosted" (ugh auto-spell)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]