FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMA with BMC DNG

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Gasc
AMA with BMC DNG
on Apr 8, 2013 at 11:59:58 pm

Hi,

Have you seen the latest of BMC ? Holy crap! IMHO they dropped a nuclear bomb at this Price point. This gear could become a cult camera of our generation.

It makes me seriously consider the option of a BMC as a workarround/crash cam high performance small device.

Does someone knows about the workflow with this open format, with AMA ?

I'wouldn't like to be Resolve dependant, specialy the transcode. I suppose that Resolve would be the equivalent of RedCineX for the BM cameras, but is it posible to just AMA the footage and access the source settings within MC? by-passing resolve to process the dailies like we can do with R3D?

Or at least, if they have the equivalent of RMD files, does MC offers a similar posibility to load any look created with Resolve with the DNG files from the source settings?

Mmmm....while writing this I remember a Michael.P conference and he was talking about that, and there was some sort of hassle with the ID (and a renamer involved if my memory is correct) but as I wasn't interested in BMC at that time I didn't pay attention to this part of the conference.

If not, is it an option to have better workflow with dng on the #7 ?

Thanks.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AMA with BMC DNG
on Apr 9, 2013 at 6:31:23 am

There is no AMA plug-in for DNG that I know, nor one in progress that has been announced. The concept behind AMA is that the camera manufactures create the plug-in. In the case of RED, Avid actually develops the AMA plug-in, not RED. With the RAW settings, I suspect Avid would need to do this work but I could be wrong.

DNG right now is done via Resolve. My presentation on DNG from a few months back spoke spoke to the metadata challenges of the long camera file names being used in Media Composer that truncates after 32 characters for any ALE merge of the metadata or EDLs.

Michael

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 9, 2013 at 10:43:22 am

Thanks for the precision Michael.

Yes, in the end I could find the 2 hours video and rewatch that part. Great tip to know and All very clear now.

My desire of not being dependant of Resolve is due to the fact that I don't cc with it as I'm familiar with Assimilate and didn't want to ad a new learning curve despite Resolve being probably more robust for cc.

IMO, the open nature of the dng is promissing in terms of support.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:00:18 pm

Assimilate has a great reputation for very fast adoption and support of new codecs and formats, so replacing Resolve on the front and back-end with it should not be an issue. The metadata "caution" is the same with either system as it is something for production to be aware of when setting up the camera and not name the prefix:

my_first_time_shooting_and_I_am_so_excited-

;)

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]