COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Horridge
Media Composer 7 features listed
on Apr 8, 2013 at 8:18:36 am

http://apps.avid.com/mediacomposer7/

Announced yesterday.

Key features:

Symphony is being rolled into Medi composer and will nolonger be a separate product it will become an option to Media Composer

FrameFlex is a new addition to Media Composer offering resolution independent sources (still or moving) that can be panned and zoomed via key fraes on your time line (but MC timelines are still no resolution independent)

A Main audio output mixer allowing overall level controls and RTAS plugins on output and it looks like R128 loudness monitoring on output as well.

Background Transcoding and Consolidating (another really big feature plus)

Dynamic folders will allow you to specific folders and sub folders in MC and apply actions to them (like copy to new location, or transcode etc)
Any media dropped in those folders will have those actions applied (even with MC not running)
Background consolidate and Transcode will allow MC to switch to that new media in the application automatically once complete.

And they are pushing Avid Sphere as a remote working solution even harder now with an additional MC version called interplay version.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
Re: Media Composer 7 features listed
on Apr 8, 2013 at 11:07:06 am

Some very good news here.

Even if the app is still hd, if I can crop some red footage without loosing reso, it's already a change in the right direction.

Background transc-conso, it was time!

MC and Symphony needed to be merged. Now, it could be that DS will be cheaper, wich would really be logical as Smoke is 1/3 the Price of the previous version and puts DS in an embarassing situation. Avid needs to compeat with Autodesk. (not only with Adobe or
Lightworks)

In my case for ex, I am a potential DS
Client as I'm looking for a specific
Workflow only DS can, but I'm
In a wait-and-see attitude because
Smoke is 4000 euros...too big gap
To be ignored.
For small people like me who aren't
Hollywood, 6000 euros is not nothing.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 8, 2013 at 1:34:33 pm

Many of those are overdue and certainly welcomed! It will be interesting to see how integrated the pan & zoom for video is to all parts of the editorial process - not just via source settings but within all the effects where a resize is used or needed - for example, if I do a picture in picture where the frame starts at one size and end up another as it moves - is it using the original image's pixels or the scaled image as HD? Testing will tell. Also curious to see how that information travels to other finishing systems.

Certainly LUTs are welcome - again will be interesting to see how integrated those are up to and within the color corrector. Looks like just source LUTs for now and now export or integrated monitoring ones.

All the AMA changes were needed, and looks like a lot of work was done with watched folders and actions. I wonder how tied that is to LUT and such? Can a system be used as ingest into a system on shared storage? Not so much for feature type dailies, but for reality shows and such will be a real time-saver - I wonder if it handles different frame rates as well so one doesn't have to make specific projects each time but can set up a rule/action to take care of that "virtually".

Symphony as an option - interesting. Some interesting marketing here: in the end you have a MC at $999 and a Symphony (er option) for a total of $2500 (the old MC price). So a price drop for MC/Symphony functionality. Basically keeping the brand of Symphony while no longer offering it as a product but now have a longer named product called Media Composer with Symphony option. I believe that the option is enabled ala PhraseFind/ScriptSync with another set of software license. I wish they would move to an iLok type license for those of us who use dongles - especially rental houses with multiple systems. No mention of Universal Mastering which I assume it also gets as part of the option, but no mention (yet) whether is was still tied to Avid hardware only.

Storage/Interplay pricing change is fantastic - I am looking forward to the more "post" version of the product. Post encompasses a lot of different "personas". I still feel that companies that own their own content are prime candidates for this - in the rental market it is has diminishing value due to setup overhead, support, etc. I will be looking to see if it can manage the non-Avid assets with all the new AMA stuff.

Michael

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 8, 2013 at 2:04:58 pm

Michael,

About watch folders and actions in AMA, are you thinking about metadatas and/or also transcodings?

Fred.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 8, 2013 at 2:11:23 pm

I don't know yet as I have yet to get the demo, but from press releases and such it appears to be both - I am curious as to how tied in these all are with the LUT and FrameFlex features or is this version really about applying actions HD camera originals already in matching Rec.79 color space, resolution (scale only), and frame rate? In the one marketing still, it didn't appear to have settings that could be called up as part of the AMA rules so I am doubting it can at this time. Maybe in Phase 2.

Michael

Return to posts index

Archie Fenwick
on Apr 8, 2013 at 7:33:40 pm

As usual nothing done about outdated colour corrector in Symphony.

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 8, 2013 at 7:50:49 pm

Hey...yeah.

I supose that they want to reserve the big artillery for DS. And they know that everybody corrects on the cheap in Resolve anyway.
(except me maybe)

But I agree, MC is ridiculously limited on that.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 9, 2013 at 6:33:02 am

No mention of Avid DS at NAB - Symphony is no longer and its feature set is now an option. Basically eliminating the need for separate development to differentiate those two products...

Michael

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 9, 2013 at 6:37:15 am

No it was as I expected. Sadly last year we pulled the DS from our flashing suite and Resolve is in its place.
However I do know work continues on DS even now.
The bigger question now will now good will the Resolve v 10 edit features be and will they impact Media composer
Jobs.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 9, 2013 at 11:03:37 am

It would be sad if DS dies. Avid has the platform and IMO strategicaly good they compeat with Autodesk.

The Resolve "dependance" is not a very good news. In the end it's different interface and not everybody colors in it. I do not for ex but use scratch, even sometimes Nuke, a friend of mine who cut mc uses nucoda etc...

Them, I don't end to understand how resolve could replace the compositing capabilities of DS. DS Ian't Nuke but at least a lot can be done before the need of specialized app is requiered.

It's the wild west for now. My scratch license is old, same as my Nuke' and I need to wait until the panorama clears up to take purchase decisions.

For us it would be an obligation then to dig into a new learning curve. Now, if they make the roundtrip a breeze, ok.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 9, 2013 at 11:15:09 am

I've had a chance to "play" with the resolve grading interface and it's incredibly powerful and sensible to use.

And the round trip to MC is already very good. Not far off the the round trip from MC to DS.

And that looks to be improving all the time. The Resolve route is far more flexible than the DS route and we see it as expanding.

It's a shame I always I'd imagine DS becoming a "plugin" option for Media Composer and adding the advanced effects tree side and using the MC I/O system but that won;t work until MC can output greater than HD.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 9, 2013 at 11:49:09 am

If we could have the possibilities to create loadable CCs done in Resolve, them apply those custom looks in MC bins, specially with the new watch folder, that would be a great accomplishment because the only thing involved would be a file, a file that can be sent by mail and contains the metadatas, exactly the same system as the RMDs. Looks created independently could be applied to some clips selection in the avid timeline. As resolve can do a lot more than rcx it would be a gaz.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 9, 2013 at 12:01:01 pm

You'd need Resolve to be create a LUT to export that was generated from the CC for MC to be able to use that as a source LUT.
There isn't any other way to have 2 different colour correction system swap "look" effectively.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:06:44 pm

The marketing does mention CDL support so we'll see where that goes. They also mentioned that one will be able to add new LUTs so, if properly designed, one could keep footage as LOG and metadata reference a LUT and/or CDL values as metadata.

Michael

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:17:02 pm

Let's see if I got it because it seems that these watch folders are going to be a gaz.

Taking a practical example:

- Edit is done in log
- I want to apply a particular CDL and/or LUT corresponding to a serie of scenes that belong to the same color decision.
- All I'd have to do would be group the source footage corresponding to those scene into a Bin via custom metadatas where this CDL would be automatically applied to all the clips thanks to the watch folder
- refresh my timeline
and Bang, all the clips involved with the correct look in the timeline?

Because that would mean that someone in Resolve could work independantly the source material at least for primary without the need to bring the sequence into Resolve.

Am I saying something stupid here?

If that is the case, that is what I'd call a flexible and friendly turnarround.

It's in the idea of custom sift but automatized. I'd tell Avid: aplly this CDL (and not only CDL but any other posible action) to the clips that have this particular metadata.
(thinking here that my sequence has been conformed to the source material)

Fred.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:27:47 pm

You're not saying something stupid, just validating the fact that if properly designed, it could work that way. From the demo I got yesterday, it did not seem that the watch folders were tied to LUT and Frame Flex views at all - I am hoping that a combination of steps might get us there - but we shall see. At first glance, the primary design goals seem to be around Media Composer having first and direct access rather than that as well as a pre and post MC pipeline for image processing and conform.

But this was an alpha version - beta doesn't start till next week, so I would expect changes and adjustments to some of the stuff before the release.

Michael

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:37:06 pm

Let's hope then.

I see some really great possibilities with the new version and it could really speed-up the workflow as well as make it more friendly and flexible.

It's good news, even if the implementation takes time to be really good and we may not have it ideal at first, it's an open motorway that engineers could improve easily.

Cheers.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Tyson Birmann
on Jul 3, 2013 at 9:26:56 pm

The Specs on the AVID website mention CDL support quite a few times. I am excited to know what this means. As a "near set" Dailies tech, I'm curious to see how this will be implemented in the workflow as this version becomes more prolific and editors get comfortable with it.
Though, the idea does have it's flaws with current workflows and without some changes to the way we work on set, this CDL support will be less useful than they might think.

The main problem I see is that CDL information is only useful in the editor if it is part of the METADATA of the file. In order to add CDL information into the METADATA the clip needs to have color correction applied. If it has color correction applied, there won't be a "clean" version of the footage for AVID to apply it's the correction to. I am afraid that this will result in a lot of footage being viewed with a "double LUT".

If this is going to be useful, Dailies software(s) are going to have to figure out a way to apply CDL info to a clip without actually applying it to the footage itself. Frankly, we wouldn't even need to transcode the footage at all... simply re-write the Metadata fields and let AVID and AMA do the rest. It would be great if this could be true of Audio as well. Simply do all of the sync / and color work and then export an ALE that would contain all of the information that AMA would need to import the work.

This would provide the best of all worlds:
DPs would get the color they want translated to post.
Post could "tweak" this color when it is needed to match like shots.
Production can save on Drives and transport of drives.
The DI will have better starting information and also include work done in the AVID rather than CDL's that haven't been touched since the shoot day.

What isn't clear from the AVID site and info is whether it is applying this LUT / CDL info over the clip or creating new transcodes of the clips with this new color. Essentially, is it doing it's own dailies or just adding a color layer on the LOG/RAW footage?

Anyway, my thoughts and comments. Curious what you all think.
Tyson

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 3, 2013 at 9:38:35 pm

I have done both LUT, CDL and LUT + CDL dailies with v7 with varying results - I think the concept of "LOG" dailies with color as metadata is very close. Most of my feedback in beta was around third party metadata applications to LOG type essence, be it camera originals or DNxHD.

The soft spots in all of this is the process by which the metadata gets applied to the essence. I very easily created LOG DNxHD 36 and applied CDL as metadata and for the most part if worked. One main issue right now in this release is that ASC SAT does not work -

LUT description is the area that falls apart, and does not work as part of an ALE process. I am told that AAF does/will at some point but have not seen that to be true at this time.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]