FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is Certification locked to classes?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Harlan
Is Certification locked to classes?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 11:09:16 pm

I'm getting mixed signals about certification, and I can't seem to get a reply from Avid. I've been told be a number of people that I can just take the certification test from a few without having to take classes. Now, I'm hearing from reseller that I MUST take the classes in order to take the certification test, and that this is Avid's official policy.

Anybody know anything about this?

I don't mind paying a hundred bucks to demonstrate my potential efficiency. But I'm just really not interested in paying thousands of dollars to have someone basically read aloud to be from a prescribed text on the subject of how to resize a bin.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Is Certification locked to classes?
on Apr 5, 2013 at 11:29:54 am

I believe taking the class is a requirement to taking the certification exam. Here is a sample exam online with some info on the process:
http://apps.avid.com/training/mcu5_practice_exam/quiz.html

That exam is for MC v5 and things changed a lot (for better and for worse) in follow up versions to current v6.5.2.1. But you can get an idea of how the exam is administered. I have found many of the questions to be hard to follow with different interpretations possible which lead to an incorrect response. I also wish the courses were designed for assistant editors and editors - when I look to hire someone, it is usually for assistant editor duties and would prefer more knowledge in that area. And while on the job can learn the subtleties of the editing interface and functionality. There's also a whole section on tape-based capture and output which is well - somewhat dated and the systems in the class did not have decks attached - so it was mostly an exercise in theory.

Avid used to have an online course, but I don't think that is available anymore, or has been updated. I would suggest you post this question on the Avid forums and Marianna is great at responding quickly with whomever you need to connect with.

Michael

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:20:45 pm

I took that a few weeks back, just to see what it was like. It was fun. It got me thinking I would like to do the certification, really more for myself than anything else. The cost of the tests--realistically a hundred a piece, even though Avid's suggested price is 25--seems worth it to me. Spending 5 grand for a repetition of stuff I've already taken in does not.

Whether or not the certification test can be taken without the courses is, I'm guessing, a current internal debate. Since they have now published all of the course material--which I'm guessing was also a matter of internal debate--I hoping it is only a matter of time until they allow anyone who wants it access to the certification process. Of course, that could already have come to pass. I'm still waiting on answers. Maybe I'll get some at NAB.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 7, 2013 at 3:26:26 am

I just took the test last saturday. You do not need to take a class. You do have to take the test from an authorized avid test center, and they will charge you around $150 to take the test. Its free if you pay for the cla$$ though.

There are 2 books that cover the User cert and two additional that cover the pro cert. You can take either or.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 7, 2013 at 8:50:06 am

[David Powell] "I just took the test last saturday. You do not need to take a class. You do have to take the test from an authorized avid test center, and they will charge you around $150 to take the test. Its free if you pay for the cla$$ though.
"

Well, that's what I thought, but I called Future Media Concepts to find out when I could take the test, and they told me that the classes were required to take the cert. I've written Avid, and am still waiting on a response.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 17, 2013 at 4:21:58 am

[David Powell] " just took the test last saturday. You do not need to take a class. You do have to take the test from an authorized avid test center, and they will charge you around $150 to take the test. Its free if you pay for the cla$$ though.
"

Apparently you were lucky. I finally got a reply back from Avid, and the answer is no class, no test. I don't know of any other certification process that does that. Not Microsoft. Not Cisco. Not Apple. Not Adobe. Sadly, I think they are living in the past. They're caught between who they were--with a lock on all teaching materials--and who they are now, with software-only versions of the NLE, and all of their teaching materials available on Amazon. They're terrific on the iPad, btw. Hopefully they will bring their certification program in line with other large companies, or it will become, increasingly, nothing more than a gimmick. Email below.

Hi Chris,

Avid certification represents successful completion of the courses & exams delivered by an Avid Certified Instructor. In Layman's terms you have to take the course.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,

-Paxton

Avid Training Support
Avid
75 Network Drive
Burlington MA 01803
United States
training.support@avid.com

We're Avid. Learn more at http://www.avid.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved