FORUMS: list search recent posts

Link AMA to MXF imported file?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naveen Mallikarjuna
Link AMA to MXF imported file?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:51:22 pm

I have a project with a bunch of clip all brought in via "Link to AMA File(s)". These files don't play well (lots of stutter).

If I import a file and convert it to DNxHD MXF it plays fine.

The problem is much of the sequence has already been cut using the AMA linked files. So, is there an easy way to just relink the clips from the timeline to the imported MXFs?

Naveen

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Link AMA to MXF imported file?
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:06:09 pm

Well, the thing to do would be to transcode all the footage accessed via AMA. Don't reimport a new clip...just highlight all the AMA footage in the bins, and consolidate them. Then take the AMA files offline, and link to the transcoded footage. Simple.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Naveen Mallikarjuna
on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:10:37 pm

Sorry, I'm not following.

If I highlight all of the AMA files and consolidate, won't it just give me portions I used in the sequence? I'd actually like the whole file, so I can do further editing.

As to transcoding, if I select an AMA clip (I'm just doing one as a test) and go to consolidate/transcode and just choose transcode, it transcodes my file into the format I select. It automatically creates a new clip in the bin (same name, but with a ".new.01" appended to the name).

But now, how do I make this file the replacement for the original AMA clip?

I feel like I'm missing something simple, since linking a clip to a new file should be pretty easy.

Naveen

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:28:42 pm

[Naveen Mallikarjuna] "
If I highlight all of the AMA files and consolidate, won't it just give me portions I used in the sequence?"

Don't do it from the sequence...do it from the bins. The sequence will relink to the new media.

[Naveen Mallikarjuna] "But now, how do I make this file the replacement for the original AMA clip?"

Take the AMA media...the sources...offline. Then select the sequence in the Bin, hit RELINK. Uncheck "Make a new sequence" at the bottom. BAM...it will relink.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Naveen Mallikarjuna
on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:03:45 pm

Got it. Thanks much!

Naveen

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:36:03 pm

Yes, Shane solution is right.

But as the poster didn't say what kind of AMAed footage it was, if it's not a supported (native) codec a transcode will occur yes or yes.

Just a relink to a bin containing the transcoded DNxHD with the AMA bin closed maybe?

Fred.

Return to posts index

Naveen Mallikarjuna
on Apr 5, 2013 at 12:37:54 pm

Turns out I didn't need to move the AMAs offline.

For the next batch, I transcoded the AMA files to MXF. Then I relinked the sequence. I selected "Relink to media from the current project" and also chose the "Video format of the current project" and "Highest Quality".

I'm not sure which of those specifically did the trick (or maybe all of them) but when I relinked they ignored the AMA files and relinked straight to the transcoded clips (which even had a different name from the original material because of the ".new.01" which had been appended to them by the transcode).

All this without having to go into the Finder and move the AMA files.

And to answer Fred, the AMA files were 1080p/29.97 QT files at Photo-JPEG quality (Artbeats stock footage).

Thanks for your help guys!

Naveen

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Feb 24, 2014 at 1:33:47 am

[Naveen Mallikarjuna] "For the next batch, I transcoded the AMA files to MXF. Then I relinked the sequence. I selected "Relink to media from the current project" and also chose the "Video format of the current project" and "Highest Quality"."

Thanks, the answered my question in another thread.

And thanks as usual to Shane and the rest.

Robert A. Ober

Return to posts index

Zack Wilpon
on Feb 22, 2014 at 4:43:06 pm

Hey I have quick question about this. How do you take the AMA clips offline? I made the transcoded footage but I'm not sure how to take the AMA offline. Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 22, 2014 at 6:13:27 pm

Unmoving the drive containing to media you AMA'd. The ANA media and the transcoded media should not be on the same drive.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]