FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pan & Zoom snafu

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
Pan & Zoom snafu
on Apr 4, 2013 at 11:48:35 am

I've watched a few tutorials, and I can't seem to get my P&Z to work.

I first import the image to a bin (and AVID creates an mxf file of the image).
Then I drag it onto the timeline.
Then I go to effects, drag the P&Z effect onto the image in the timeline, it goes dark.
Then I go to the effects pallet and import, and open the same image from my desktop.

But no image shows up. All the tutorials show the image reappearing once the import is linked to the original image. Image is a large jpg from a Nikon D800, so quality and resolution are very high.

Any idea of what might be going wrong?

I'm on MC 6.5.0 and Mountain Lion 10.8.3

Also, slightly related, when I bring the image into the timeline from the bin, it looks stretched, horizontally.

Thanks very much in advance.

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Juris Eksts
Re: Pan & Zoom snafu
on Apr 4, 2013 at 12:27:27 pm

Don't import the image to the bin, that's the stage that is getting in the way.
On your timeline spacer, create edits at the beginning and end of your planned shot. Put the Pan and Zoom effect on that spacer, then navigate to the source picture on the desktop.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Apr 4, 2013 at 12:48:03 pm

Importing actually has proven to be a good idea for us - it serves as a visual placeholder for us to later go in and add the P&Z effect and work as you indicate, also it allows you to remember or see which still to access when adding the effect.

Two things here, when you add the effect, change your view within the effect from source to target so you can see the moves or keyframes you are adding and working with.

The second issue, much more critical, is the flaw in this effect since MC version 6 - the effect is tenuous at best - it seems to be memory related. The app will quit working and/or you cannot see what you are doing as you work. Things that help with this is quitting the app and/or sometimes rebooting the entire system and only working with these effects, always rendering and/or saving after every move. The best we have been able to accomplish is to get through 3 or 4 images before the system crashes or quits working. Our system is Win 7 with dual hex-core processors, 3Ghz, 12 GB-RAM. This is indeed an Avid MC flaw as we worked with this effect flawlessly in earlier versions. We now mostly resort to Adobe AE for still moves .... also there are 3rd party plugins that can be used within the app that do not crash the system.

Hope this helps you out.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 4, 2013 at 1:36:37 pm

Hi,

I've been working with 21000 pixels reso with Pan&Zoom and Avid eats that without problems (just a Little long to digest it, true)

Once it's loaded, it Works on the timeline as normal and on real time. No blank screen but better render if it's really huge.

You really don't need the bin import stage. I've seen that it Works best with huge resolutions with the effect in a filler.
If your resolution is really high and you are on the limit, according to your Workstation, you may need to really leave the App a certain time after the loaded is done before you start to play with controls. I would say 30 sec, 1 min. Have a Little coffee break
then back to work.

I've also noticed that it isn't really about the pixel size of the image but the megabites when problems can occur. You can have for ex a huge drawing image in duotone that has less MB tan a complex colorfull smaller image.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Apr 4, 2013 at 1:57:13 pm

I'm sure Fred is correct for his system ... bottom line is that there is a flaw with Avid and this may or may not be related to hardware or 32-64 bit ... etc etc .... I DO know that the problem came about after MC version 5 on WinXP - SOMETHING changed because it used to work MUCH better.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:15:40 pm

I forgot to precise something.

When you use the effect directly on a filler, without the bin import stage, the way the effect will import the still is independant to your import settings.

Avid will fill the lengh or height with the image but without distortioned it.

I have for example imported Hasselblad images that have a very different aspect ratio tan HD and the Pan&Zoom importer will behave correctly regardless of your import settings. Wich is not the case on a bin import where we have to check the settings.

Of course, with a "squarish" aspect ratio, it will "loose" the upper and lower part of the img once loaded in HD as it centers it by default, but it's not lost, if you zoom-back you see it.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Apr 4, 2013 at 1:48:53 pm

Thanks for your response.

I tried both suggestions: not importing first, and switching to target mode.
But the still doesn't show up.

Wow, this is quite a major flaw.
Any sense of when AVID might fix it?
I really like to do stills work in my NLE, rather than being forced to go outside and/or plugin.

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:21:15 pm

Dan,

It should work. There is no reason and I'm sure it's one of those stupid "mistakes" we sometimes do and are so obvious that we don't see them.

I'm currently underpower and my Workstation would urgently need an upgrade, and I can work medium format and view cameras huge resos images without problems.

There is something that we don't see, and I'm sure it's a silly hidden thing.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:31:12 pm

Check for ex if by mistake you haven't disabled "render on the fly". (top menu-special). Check all your still parameters in PS. Try to make a "save as" in case file for some reason as been corrupted. etc...

Fred.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:32:29 pm

There isn't really anything for Avid to fix. This seems more like an issue on your system.

Just have to figure out if its operator error or some sort of weird problem that might require a re-install.

Can you take a screen shot of your Effects pallet when you use P&Z so we can see if something is set incorrectly?

As an aside...personally, I prefer to import the image to the bin as the placeholder for the effect, not use filler. If you have ever had a bunch of images lose their links and go offline, you will see the wisdom in it...if you use filler, you pretty much have to rely on memory to rebuild what you did.

For what its worth, though I use Pan and Zoom on my own system, the Moving Picture plug in is really great if you need something more robust and has a more friendly interface.

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:44:12 pm

[John Pale] "As an aside...personally, I prefer to import the image to the bin as the placeholder for the effect, not use filler. If you have ever had a bunch of images lose their links and go offline, you will see the wisdom in it...if you use filler, you pretty much have to rely on memory to rebuild what you did."

I agree with that. Both bin import and filler have their own advantages.
If a lot of still images are involved, I'd use a bin import without the shade of a doubt because of what you just pointed.
But if it's a matter of a few stills, I woundn't bother me with that stage.
It was indeed a good point to precise. Bin import is the safest.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:16:22 pm

You can also try to export your image from PS in Tiff 8 or 16 bits, even putting layers with alpha, the Pan&Zoom would import them without problems.
The only limitation is that with layers the filter merge all that, your layered img will be flattened.

That way, you can check if it is something corrupted at a jpeg level.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Apr 6, 2013 at 1:30:11 pm

I tried a lower resolution tiff and it works so far. Haven't tried any effects yet, but at least the image shows up when I import it after the P&Z was applied.

The original was a 103mb jpg.
This is a tiff about 1/2 the size.

I guess I can experiment with different sizes and formats.
Seems AVID doesn't like the large tiff?

Dan S.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 6, 2013 at 5:26:10 pm

There really is no reason to use super high resolution photos. It's all going to get down sampled to video resolution anyway..and as you can see, it can cause performance issues.

Make them about double the pixels of your video frame, so you can do a decent move on them. Anything higher than 72 dpi is unnecessary.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]