FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Practice for AVID cleanup

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Megan Butchard
Best Practice for AVID cleanup
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:34:16 pm

Hi there, I was wondering the best way to fully clean up my AVID. My company does multiple videos a year and all the files and footage are saved on the drives. We have mastered a few, but want to make sure we don't lose anything.
What is your best practice on mastering for cleanup and making sure you don't lose any information, or files.
Also, how is the best way to keep graphics that are used on a regular basis in a proper workflow?
(as you can tell, i'm new at all this and just want to learn the best way to go about mastering and cleaning up our drives)

Thank you in advance,
Megan

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Best Practice for AVID cleanup
on Apr 4, 2013 at 8:26:04 am

First off I'd check out the AVid couuminty forums at http://community.avid.com/forums/

Projects should be regularly copied to a backup location during jobs.
When a Jobs done I like to export out a same as source flatterned file of the main sequence (as the source for any encodes or DVDs/Blurays needed) and as a file based copy of the job.
Then consolidate the media from the final sequence(s) to a fresh (or empty) drive. This is the Avid media needed to re-work the sequence.
Assuming source files (tapeless) are already backedup that's all you should need.
Generally any extra assets should be kept organised with the job and can then be archived as well.

Finally Project can be copied off to archive location and the Attic empted of that project (remember to clear the attic out regularly as it can get very big!)
Then with the consolidated media taken off the system (so not seen by Avid) you can use the media tool to delete all the media and precomputes used in that project.

If on a PC an app called MDV is really helpful for managing media.

My preferemce for regualry used stuff is to make a new project called something sensible like (default graphics) and import your graphics etc into there.
When you then create a new project copy the bin from the default grpahics project into the new project and you will have all those clips available. The media will be flagged as being in the default grpahics porject so media toll won't delete them if you use current project as the filter in media tool.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]