FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remove motion effect and ripple sequence

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Brill
Remove motion effect and ripple sequence
on Apr 3, 2013 at 1:45:23 pm

So I need to take a sequence and remove a lot of motion effects. I haven't gotten a look at the timeline yet but I believe they used the motion effects button and not time warp.

Is there a simple way to remove a speed effect and ripple out that shot's edit so all of the frames used in the effect are still present in the timeline but now just playing at regular speed?

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
Re: Remove motion effect and ripple sequence
on Apr 3, 2013 at 2:51:00 pm

Hi,

If they used the motion editor in the source windows, there will be no effect to remove.

You'd need to be in the source monitor and match back to the source clip.

Fred.

Return to posts index

James Brill
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:23:24 pm

Thanks Fred.

And if I matchframe back the in and out in the source monitor should match all the frames used in the motion effect right?

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:51:22 pm

Sorry but I want to make sure I understood your question well because I'm french and got a doubt.

Do you need to keep the same lengh on the timeline?

Fred.

Return to posts index

James Brill
Re: move motion effect and ripple sequence
on Apr 3, 2013 at 4:00:42 pm

No, the speed effects are speed ups so I want the timeline to extend as the edit for the sped up shot is lengthened after bringing it back to normal speed.

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 3, 2013 at 4:31:54 pm

Ok.

if they use this in the timeline with match frame, you shoud have an edit in your timeline where the slowmo has been applied (clip been replaced).

If the dudes haven't made any further manips in the source clip, your in and out points should indeed be the normal footage before the motion effect being applied.

If everything's fine, you need to extract the in-out portion of the timeline where the slow-mo was applied and split with your in-out of the source monitor at regular speed and make sure your tracks are sync. But the lengh of the timeline will obviously be affected.

I do not know a faster method. If someone knows, I'd read it with interest.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 3, 2013 at 4:51:56 pm

Sorry, I wrote "where the slowmo has been applied", it was a speed-up, but it's really the same. When your back to your source monitor, the in-out are previous to the motion-effect so they really are the portion at correct speed that was used for the effect creation.

Fred.

Return to posts index

James Brill
on Apr 3, 2013 at 5:06:12 pm

Thanks Fred.

Yeah the idea is I need to strip out all the speed effects of a music video in preparation of it's online and I'm not sure on the fastest way. This should help but if anyone knows a faster way that would be great.

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 3, 2013 at 5:14:44 pm

I'd like to know too a faster way. But that's the problema with not using timewrap.
Affecting the speed with motion effect from the source monitor is really a mixed bag. Straighforward but in the end, it creates new media.
If that would have been an effect, you could have batch delete the effect. But as those are new footage created within a portion of the original, if the people manipulates further the in-out points of the source clip, the reference is lost if they didn't take the caution to sub-clipped.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Apr 3, 2013 at 7:16:37 pm

I don't think there's a 'fast' way to deal with this.

What I would do is hit matchframe on the last frame of the speed up clip and put a locater on the source clip position. Go back to first frame of speed up and hit matchframe again, this will put an in point on the first frame in your source. Then go to the locater you already added and put an out point there. Now insert this clip and delete the speed up. Not sure if it's the fastest way...

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Apr 4, 2013 at 12:42:32 pm

In FCP the length of the clip changes in relation to the speed change where as Avid keeps the clip length the same and changes the out point of the source but the clips duration on timeline is fixed.

The normal approach is to have the clips with the the speed changes duped at the the end of the line and extended to the duration you require, then you can add the speed changes during the online or if you're conforming back in Avid just drop them back on.

How much of the edit has speed changes? You could remove all the effects and export an AAF with enough handle length to accommodate the speed changes.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:52:48 pm

If you have not changed the in/out points on a clip since it was used to create the motion effect clip, alt matchframe will call up the clip without affecting its in/outpoints. Without alt you will simply get a new inpoint at your matched frame. Then the trick of using locators would be a good work around.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]