FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Pan and Zoom

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hill
Avid Pan and Zoom
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:16:01 pm

I have some jpegs from my iphone that look good when viewed on my Mac desktop. They don't look good in Avid MC even when I use Avid Pan and Zoom, which links to them on the desktop. I have have full green resolution. I have rendered them to the highest quality. I don't understand because I assume Avid Pan and Zoom is bypassing anything that would degrade the image and by the way I'm not zooming in at all. I'm just comparing the image vis a vis the way it looks in Pan and Zoom and when viewed on the desktop. Shouldn't the image look the same, especially if I'm not zooming in at all? (I can't use BCC because I ran out of my trial period.)

Any advice would be appreciated. From what I've read Avid Pan and Zoom should not pixelate my image if I'm not scaling the image at all.

Thanks, JH

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: Avid Pan and Zoom
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:22:40 pm

What is the pixel resolution of the desktop (original Images)?

Ricky

Return to posts index

John Hill
on Mar 28, 2013 at 4:11:33 pm

Pixel resolution is 1935x2592.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Hill
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:19:03 pm

Thank you, Ricky, for your quick response and help. I feel like a doofus but you're question got me to my answer. I should be in an HD project. I thought I could still be in an NTSC project and Pan and Zoom would not degrade my image but apparently it does. Looks perfect in 1080p.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:41:46 pm

It may - it's downsampling the original resolution to HD at the last step (the render.)

You may want to switch the rendering quality on Pan+Zoom from RT (good for playback) to either Gaussian, Avid HQ or Avid Ultra HQ (all use different maths to scale the image.)

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

John Hill
on Mar 28, 2013 at 4:13:19 pm

You may want to switch the rendering quality on Pan+Zoom from RT (good for playback) to either Gaussian, Avid HQ or Avid Ultra HQ (all use different maths to scale the image.)

Hi Jeff,

I switched the render quality to high and it didn't matter. My photo on the desktop is 1935x2592. Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Hill
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:19:46 pm

Thanks, Jeff, for your quick response and help. I feel like a doofus but I should be in an HD project. I thought I could still be in an NTSC project and Pan and Zoom would not degrade my image but apparently it does. Looks perfect in 1080p.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:28:49 pm

If it worked great in HD...then it's how sh**ty SD is. Not much more can be done. Sadly, SD is less than 1 megapixel.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

Walter Lowe
on Apr 1, 2013 at 2:09:33 am

OH, SD... How I don't miss working with you at all. Not even a little...

Walter Lowe
President, Blackburst Entertainment
Director - DP - Editor
http://www.blackburstentertainment.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]