FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving media files to new drive

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
Moving media files to new drive
on Mar 26, 2013 at 11:26:22 am

Basic media management question:

I transcoded all my media files to an external drive for a project, and they went into the "1" folder in the MXF folder. I want to transfer those files over to a portable drive and relink to that drive, but the portable drive already has a "1" folder in it's MXF folder.

I made a folder titled "2" in the portable drive, copied all the project files from the "1" folder in the 1st drive to "2" folder in new drive. Then quit MC, ejected the 1st drive, and tried to link up the files to the new drive with no luck. I saw messages about "media database" and saw there were a number of options in the dialogue box for relinking.

Any tips?

Thanks!
-Dan

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Moving media files to new drive
on Mar 26, 2013 at 12:24:59 pm

Delete the MSM database files in each of those folders on the hard drive as it will force Media Composer to rebuild them on startup. There will be two of them in each of the numbered folders. Delete then when MC is not running, then launch MC.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 27, 2013 at 12:52:34 pm

Delete the two MSM files in each of the numbered folders before launching Media Composer. Launch MC which forces it to rebuild its database and see if it just links.

Michael

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Mar 27, 2013 at 1:39:02 pm

It worked!
Creative Cow to the rescue, once again!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Adam Paez
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:39:05 am

Sometimes if Avid isn't able to see a specific media folder even if I delete the database file I make a new mediafolder with mediacomposer by making a tone media for example. Then I can transfer the mediafiles to that folder and restart avid. Remember to delete the database files from the newly created media folder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]