FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture on the fly from Blu-Ray to MC 5.5.3?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Madden
Capture on the fly from Blu-Ray to MC 5.5.3?
on Mar 26, 2013 at 12:22:34 am

Hi all,

Am trying to patch a Blu-Ray player so that I can capture from it using the HDMI out and going into the AJA's HDMI in. Not surprisingly, when I open the capture tool, tell it to use HDMI, and try to capture on the fly (unchecking TC), it doesn't work. Am I missing something, or is this simply not possible?

Sys specs:

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon with 24 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 EEC Mem (4GB across 6 slots)

Avid MC 5.5.3

using an AJA ioExpress

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: Capture on the fly from Blu-Ray to MC 5.5.3?
on Mar 26, 2013 at 1:11:56 am

The copy protection hardware built-in to Blu-ray players will prevent copying to the capture card even if you are trying to copy from a burnable BD-R disc, which does not use Blu-ray copy protection.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on Mar 26, 2013 at 1:24:42 am

HDCP is a licensing scheme that Blue Rays use to copy protect material. I am sure you are not trying to do anything malicious, but it is ever present.

Older Blueray players have analog component outputs, which AJA will take as well. The newer players only do SD on component output.

There are HDMI to analog component outputs that will allow you to do it, which is what we end up having to do for film festivals.

James Beattie
ACSR Elite/Avid ACI, Apple Certified Technician

Consulting for Workflow and Digital Technologies at Comprehensive Technical Group

Return to posts index

Dennis Kutchera
on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:01:25 pm

I've never used one, but I think one of the products on this page will solve your problem quite nicely. http://www.hdfury.com/

Dennis

Return to posts index

Laura Madden
on Mar 26, 2013 at 5:13:02 pm

Thanks all for the responses. Nope, not trying to do anything malicious -- just trying to load a piece of archival. Will talk to the archival producer about getting a screener clip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]