FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid compatible machine

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Jenkinson
Avid compatible machine
on Mar 21, 2013 at 9:43:27 am

Hi,

I've been using Adobe Premiere Pro for some time for video editing but have been getting persistently unreliable performance on some levels. I've actually had to downgrade from CS6 back to CS5.

I'm looking for something more dependable and have been thinking about the Avid Media Composer. I used Avid for a while years ago in one of it's earlier manifestations but I really have no idea what it's like now. It's something I'm currently researching.

One of my main concerns is the compatibility of my machine. On the Avid site they recommend certain types of machines but it's not clear whether Avid only works with these types of systems.

I'm using a Windows 7 PC with an Asus Z9PE-D8 WS motherboard running two Intel Xeon E5 2687 CPUs. It has 64Gb RAM and a PNY Nvidia Quadro 5000 video card installed.

Will this config cause any issues with Avid Media Composer 6.5?

Many thanks.

SJ.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Avid compatible machine
on Mar 21, 2013 at 1:05:49 pm

Nice machine!

As far as whether it will run Avid - I imagine it will. Whether you will have problems or not remains to be seen. The easiest way to be sure is to download the Avid trial and run it for 30 days - really put it through its paces to see if you can uncover any show stopping problems with your system.

Avid 30-Day Trial

Check here and make sure that you're running the right graphics card driver and version of Quicktime for the version of Avid you're running:

Avid Version Matrix

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Sean Jenkinson
on Mar 21, 2013 at 3:11:07 pm

Many thanks for your response and advice.

Never actually thought of testing the trial version. That's probably why I'm not a millionaire.

Thanks again.

SJ.

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on Mar 22, 2013 at 1:01:32 am

Avid qualifies specific machines so they can guarantee performance.

Apple had the luxury of always being able to test machines that they created, so they knew the handful of variables. With PCs there are so many variables it is hard to qualify.

The big thing is the graphics card. The Nvidia you have should be fine, and you have an Intel processor. You may have an issue with Long GOP files, such as AVC-Intra if your timeline is complex.

My bet is that it will be fine. Install Ed prep (http://preptools.net/) make all dots green. Then Install Avid. Then go to c:program filesAvidUtilitiesNvidia and install that driver. Reboot, run Ed prep again and things should be happy.

You should also install the Avid AMA plugins. go to avid.com/ama

These plugins (free) allow you to access material natively without having to import it into the Avid file format first. But it should be noted that once the files are in the Avid file format, you have the potential for a more consistent experience.

James Beattie
ACSR Elite/Avid ACI, Apple Certified Technician

Consulting for Workflow and Digital Technologies at Comprehensive Technical Group

Return to posts index

Sean Jenkinson
on Mar 22, 2013 at 7:42:35 am

Many thanks for this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]