FORUMS: list search recent posts

problem with importing files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
problem with importing files
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:18:49 pm

I just upgraded to MC 6.5.0 and updated my Mac OS to 10.8.3 (mountain lion).
My hope was that it would fix a problem I'm having importing files from both the Canon C300 and Panasonic HPX250. Unfortunately, the problem persists.

With the c300, the files get chopped into clips no longer than 5minutes and 16 seconds (and I know they were not shot that way).

For the HPX250 files, I get video and no sound.

When importing through AMA, I have to navigate to each MXF file (and sometimes there are more than one in a folder in the Avid MediaFiles folder).

Do I need a special plugin for importing C300 and HPX250 files?
If so, would I get that at the AVID site or the Panasonic and Canon sites?

Thanks much,

Dan

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: problem with importing files
on Mar 19, 2013 at 5:58:25 pm

Yes, you need the AMA plugins..Download and install them all.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Avid-Media-Access/plug-ins

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Mar 19, 2013 at 6:00:52 pm

Great...one more question. Does the xf300 work for the canon c300?
I didn't see a plug in for that cam.

Thanks!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 19, 2013 at 6:29:34 pm

[Daniel Schultz] "Does the xf300 work for the canon c300?"

Yes. But install them all, just in case. I did that and it worked great...my post super only installed the AMA and XF AMA plugin and it didn't work. When she installed all the AMA plugins, it did. So install them all.

And then you can AMA, and simply CONSOLIDATE. No transcoding needing. BUT, you do need to consolidate...get the media onto your media drive in the Avid file structure for peak performance.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Mar 20, 2013 at 12:11:31 am

Ok...now this is getting a bit frustrating.

I tried downloading all the plugins. I was able to install everything but the canon plugins.
For Canon I found xf305 xf300 and xf100, and I think they were all the same plugin.

But when I double click on the icon for the plugin, nothing happens (even after trying multiple times to download and install).

I still have the problem with the canon clips being broken into segments that are 5:16 long when I bring them in through AMA (when they were shot as one clip).

Question: When linking to AMA, should I have to navigate to each individual folder and select each mxf file? This seems rather tedious compared to transcoding in FCP, where the clips would just show up in the window. I wasn't sure if this was the way it's supposed to be in AVID, or if I still don't have all the plugins.

For instance, the panasonic p2 ama plugin did install, and I still have to select each mxf file. But at least the panasonic clips are not segmenting into 5:16 length. And the panasonic clips did come in properly (not segmented).

So, my questions are:
1. Why aren't the canon plugins installing?
2. Why can't I get the C300 clips to come in properly through AMA?

Thanks again!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 20, 2013 at 8:59:37 am

[Daniel Schultz] "Question: When linking to AMA, should I have to navigate to each individual folder and select each mxf file? "

You should be able to select the root folder for each card and Avid will load all the clips on that card into a bin. The folder structure has to be exactly like it is on the card.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:54:29 am

That's what I hoped and figured.

So my system is still not working properly.

I did just copy the contents folder from each card (CF card for the c300 and p2 card for the Panasonic hpx250). I haven't touched the original folder structure.

Any ideas why it's not working? And why I'm still getting segmented clips?

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 20, 2013 at 2:01:49 pm

To link to the volume, instead of the individual files, you should be in a folder situation where you are inside an area where you are now looking at the contents folder. sourcescard1contents....something like that.

If this doesn't work, uninstall and then reninstall new versions of the plugins. Both the mxf plugin from Avid and the C300 plugin from Canon. 305 is the same as 300, and should be all you need. I'm not sure what the 100 one is for, but it sure won't hurt to install it as well.

Be sure you are installing the version for Media Composer 6.5. There are two different versions on the site.

I find most times people can't use the link to volume is because their plugin is bad/out of date.
or they have altered the folder structure. There is no need to not copy across the entire folder structure off of a card. Don't start drilling into the card and decide what to take...take it all.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Mar 20, 2013 at 5:20:12 pm

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your reply!

So, yes, I'm trying to exactly that: Link to a volume through the contents folder.

When I go to the link to the canon site, it has two different avid media plugins for xf300-5:
"Plugin 64 for avid media access 2.0.2" and
"Plugin for Avid Media Access 1.0.5

I've been downloading the "Plugin 64" because it seems the most up-to-date.

But when I download the plugin, I can seem to open and install it the way I was able to others. I double click and nothing happens. I've tried downloading and trying many times.

And for the other plugins that do allow me to install (AMA, P2, etc), do you know how to uninstall before installing?

The P2 AMA plugin is also not working, since I'm not able to see volumes through AMA. The only way it recognizes clips is to drill down into each MXF folder, which I know now is not the right way to do it.

Thanks again for your help.

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 20, 2013 at 5:44:12 pm

Plugin 64 should be the one you want. 64 bit for Avid Media Composer 6.5 (I assume you are running Mac lion or mountain lion?) file is xpmm 2-0-2-6-9l

Did you download the Avid MXF AMA plug in as well?

Within Avid you can check which plugins you have installed. This should tell you if it has installed correctly
go to your console (tools>console) and type AMA_ListPlugins

This will tell you the version and type you have installed

When you are doing your volume link, you aren't going into the contents folder correct? You are in a structure that shows you there is a contents folder...don't go any deeper.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]