FORUMS: list search recent posts

Commercial for NTSC HD broadcast editing in Avid MC, mix of 50% live action shot in 23.976fps, and 50% animation. Should I ask for animation to be delivered in 23.976, 30fps or....? And what timeline should I bet cutting in?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Kim
Commercial for NTSC HD broadcast editing in Avid MC, mix of 50% live action shot in 23.976fps, and 50% animation. Should I ask for animation to be delivered in 23.976, 30fps or....? And what timeline should I bet cutting in?
on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:06:32 am

Say I'm cutting a national commercial, and let's say that the final delivery will be 1080/60i.

Half the commercial is live action, and that incoming footage was shot at 23.976 fps.

The other half of the commercial is native animation that is created in After Effects.

Now, my questions are:

1) What timeline should I be cutting in?
2) Should I ask my animator to work in 23.976 fps? Or should I ask that he deliver in a different frame rate? I ask because I know there will ultimately be a conversion applied to get to 1080/60i, so is it better from a quality perspective for him to deliver at a generation closer to that final frame rate?

I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but as much as I search through the forums for answers, I can't seem to find a thread that addresses this exact combination. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Commercial for NTSC HD broadcast editing in Avid MC, mix of 50% live action shot in 23.976fps, and 50% animation. Should I ask for animation to be delivered in 23.976, 30fps or....? And what timeline should I bet cutting in?
on Mar 16, 2013 at 4:28:49 am

I would recommend that you work at 23.976 for everything and do one conversion at the end to 1080i/59.94. This way there is a continuous cadence from beginning to end and does result in a better quality encode when going to broadcast.

Michael

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Commercial for NTSC HD broadcast editing in Avid MC, mix of 50% live action shot in 23.976fps, and 50% animation. Should I ask for animation to be delivered in 23.976, 30fps or....? And what timeline should I bet cutting in?
on Mar 16, 2013 at 5:19:23 am

I agree with Michael. Mixing frame rates just adds another layer of complexity and should be avoided if possible. Make sure your animator knows to give you 23.976 and not 24.000 as some people mistakenly think they are one and the same.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]