FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need assistance figuring out a few interface quibbles...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Roberts
Need assistance figuring out a few interface quibbles...
on Mar 15, 2013 at 10:47:12 pm

Hi all,

Well, I've finally officially made my dive back into Avid after holding FCP7 near and dear to my heart (and knowing that program in and out like nothing else in this world) for about a decade. Just a few basic interface hurdles I've hit in MC6.5 and couldn't find an answer online:

1) Is there an easy way to CUT and paste, not copy and paste, clips in an Avid sequence without rippling the entire sequence? In FCP, I really became accustomed to pulling a bunch of clips into a timeline, duping that sequence and then whittling that down to a content cut (interview based stuff for this show). I can lift clips out but then everything ripples and then I can copy and paste but it leaves dupe clips which I then have to delete which is an extra step I need to avoid.

2) Is there a way to nudge clips down a timeline without going to slip / slide trim mode? I mean, can I select say a group of 3 clips and then tap on a frame forward or backward button like the arrow keys in FCP to have that group move up or down the timeline in frame increments? The reason I'm trying to avoid going into trim mode is that sometimes when my timelines get complicated, it's hard to isolate just those clips to get it into the correct trim mode and moving with segment mode and my mouse isn't precise enough.

3) Is there a quick way to close a gap between clips? In FCP it's just a right click in the space and "close gap".

4) Super basic one - how can I change my starting TC of a sequence I already have open.

Thanks guys!

FCP / AVID EDITOR
Features : Television
http://www.DefiningFilms.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Need assistance figuring out a few interface quibbles...
on Mar 16, 2013 at 3:30:39 am

[Bryan Roberts] "Is there an easy way to CUT and paste"

Try Opt-X. I think that does an extract and copy to clipboard (readly for pasting)

[Bryan Roberts] "Is there a way to nudge clips down a timeline without going to slip / slide trim mode"

Switch to the Red Arrow and your trim keys should move the clips.

[Bryan Roberts] ") Super basic one - how can I change my starting TC of a sequence I already have open."
In a bin adjust it's start time. There's another way that I'm too tired to remember. :D

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Mar 16, 2013 at 4:32:03 pm

F'n awesome - Ill try these out, thank you sir...

FCP / AVID EDITOR
Features : Television
http://www.DefiningFilms.com

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on Mar 18, 2013 at 2:41:36 am

To change the timecode, right click in the record monitor and choose sequence report (or get info, depending on version). Here you can modify the timecode, as well as changing it from drop frame (; in your timecode) or nondrop frame (: in your timecode).

James Beattie
ACSR Elite/Avid ACI, Apple Certified Technician

Consulting for Workflow and Digital Technologies at Comprehensive Technical Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]