FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I import to a specific folder?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rocco Forte
Can I import to a specific folder?
on Mar 15, 2013 at 9:00:07 pm

When I import something new into the project, it allows me to select the drive and then it creates its own file structure within that drive, like this:

My Drive > Avid MediaFiles > MXF > etc. etc.

Is is possible to create my OWN folder so that I can import to:

My Drive > Avid MediaFiles > MXF > My Folder

And then everything I subsequently import goes directly to this folder. (and is converted to MXF)

Thanks for any help. Learning here...

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Can I import to a specific folder?
on Mar 15, 2013 at 9:30:42 pm

Nope.

Return to posts index

Rocco Forte
on Mar 15, 2013 at 10:09:28 pm

Thanks for the reply.

So, if I'm guessing correctly, the workaround would be to first transfer into my specific folder and then LINK TO AMA FILES - would that basically give me the same thing?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 15, 2013 at 10:49:47 pm

Well, you use AMA to "access" the media...not edit with it. After you access that footage you really need to transcode it (or consolidate it if it is MXF media, or a codec that Avid works with like XDCAM or ProRes) so that you end up with Avid media...in that specific Avid file structure.

Don't try to work with the footage directly via AMA. It will be rife with issues. Avid, no matter what their marketing tries to tell you, really requires that the media be transcoded to Avid media files. Unless it is a quick edit that is short and you don't have time to transcsode...I would not recommend direct AMA editing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:01:41 pm

No, don't AMA mediafiles. If you need to sort your mediafiles, you can rename/renumber the subfolders inside Avid MediaFiles/MXF/ to any other number. Or you can give them an alphanumeric name, but that means you won't be able to rebuild media databases for that folder (needs to be a number for MC to have write access to it).
However, NEW media is always created in folders named 1 or 2 or 3, etc.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 16, 2013 at 12:47:30 pm

The best way to work is to ensure the MXF 1 folder is always empty before you start a session.
As you import/consolidate/Transcode/render/create titles etc the MXF media will be placed in the 1 folder.
When the sessions done and you've quite MC and made a backup copy of your Avid project (we all do that right?)
rename your 1 folder to a new number.
If you use 100 for project A and 200 for project B and 300 for project C you then have 99 potential project number media locations to use so as you continue on each project you just rename the 1 folder to the next free number for that project.
Keeping lots of small folders makes rebuilding media databases much quicker and generally MC prefers lots of small folders rather than 1 big one.
When done you can then collect all the media for that project and copy it else where as a backup.

And you can edit with AMA linked media (but not avid MXF media files via AMA) and for short form work with fast machines more folks are cutting directly with AMA linked media. We tend to use consolidating or Transcoding for longer form work or slower systems having to access H264 content.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]