FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC 1080 Timeline Monitor Quality

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Troje
MC 1080 Timeline Monitor Quality
on Mar 11, 2013 at 1:44:36 pm

My system is: MC 6.5.2, ASUS P6X58D-E mobo, Intel i7 980 3.2GHz, 24GB Corsair DDR3 RAM, Quadro 2000D, Dual monitors (23" 16x9 and 19" std), W7-Pro 64 bit (SP1).

I am working in a 1080i project that is a blend of 1080i video and jpg photos. All of my previous projects were 720. With the quality icon yellow/green the timeline shows a lot of red and yellow bars and the monitor stutters. It's obviously a little better at lowest quality (yellow). Is there something that I can do to my system to improve the timeline plaback quality in 1080 or do I just have to accept this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: MC 1080 Timeline Monitor Quality
on Mar 11, 2013 at 1:46:52 pm

What kind of storage do you have? Your media drives might not have enough bandwidth to handle 1080 footage. And what type of footage is this? Are you accessing it via AMA?

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Troje
on Mar 12, 2013 at 12:54:55 pm

Hi Michael,

I am using WD Black 1TB SATA 2 drives with 32 MB cache. As another comment mentioned, I do not see Blue before the Red or Yellow so it might not be HD related. Still, it's worth considering an upgrade.

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on Mar 11, 2013 at 6:03:25 pm

Of course the Red is just dropped frames, but before you Red you are indicating that it is showing Yellow. Yellow means the processor is overloaded. What type of material is it? You may consider transcoding it to an Avid DNX material. If you are using AVC-Intra this is a typical occurrence if the machine is underpowered (less than 12 cores).

If before the dropout, it were indicating blue, then it would be drive related.

Avid has to actually unpack material in order to play it. The processor decodes the frames on the fly and allows you to see it in real-time. If this material is complex (XDCAM or AVC-Intra) the processor gets overtaxed and it begins dropping frames.

Return to posts index

Michael Troje
on Mar 12, 2013 at 1:02:42 pm

Thanks for the reply. The processor has 6 cores and can run 12 threads. I have not run a processor monitor during an editing session but I will try that next. I understand that MC is processor intensive. I'm also suspecting the CUDA processor on my Quadro 2000, but I've read different posts about how much MC takes advantage of a CUDA processor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]