FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I enable clip detection when logging and capturing HDCAM footage.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
How do I enable clip detection when logging and capturing HDCAM footage.
on Mar 11, 2013 at 3:10:28 am

Hi, I'm just starting out with AVID and I have to capture a lot HDCAM footage. In one of the suites in the facility I'm working at, this procedure was pretty easy because AVID simply detected when a clip was a clip and stopped the deck to allow me to enter the clip name and then restart the capturing from where we were up to on the next clip.

Now, unfortunately, I need to use a different suite and this one is not detecting clips and is capturing the entire tape as one big master clip. As a workaround I can make subclips, but I'd much prefer the multiple master clips that I had before. Can anyone shed light on how I can enable this function? Also, how does it work? I ask because I assumed it detected when someone buttoned off on the recording, but sometimes there a few instances of this within a single clip and it seems to somehow be able to group a few buttons off in to one clip at logical points in the tape pretty much as I would have done myself if I was doing this manually.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: How do I enable clip detection when logging and capturing HDCAM footage.
on Mar 11, 2013 at 3:59:19 am

There is no such feature.

Either someone prelogged it and was batch capturing, or there were camera stops.

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
on Mar 11, 2013 at 4:14:21 am

Okay, well the camera stops make a lot more sense to me as a way of how clipping could be done, certainly what I thought was happening didn't really make sense. Anyway though I don't really understand what seemed to be going on with clips that apparently spanned several camera stops, it doesn't matter because camera stops would be perfectly sufficient as a marker of separate clips.

Can I get AVID to stop capturing at a camera stop and allow me to log each camera stop as a separate master clip, restarting the record at each button on after a clip is logged?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 11, 2013 at 7:50:45 am

By camera stops...John means where the camera stopped, and say someone reviewed the tape, or took the tape out, and put it back in...so there's a timecode break. A gap between where one recording ends, and another begins. That timecode break is the only thing that Avid will detect.

OR...if the camera was recording via TIME OF DAY timecode. So not continuous, meaning the numbers picked up right where you left off when you pressed pause, but the internal clock, timecode generator...kept going to match the time of day. So every start and stop via that method would be a timecode break...and thus cause the Avid to stop capturing.

If it's normal Record Run timecode...there will be no break for the Avid to detect...so it will capture until you tell it to stop, or it reaches the end of the tape.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 11, 2013 at 9:11:52 am

Any edit assistant worth their salt would also know you can use F1 F2 to log in and outs and be able to type the clip name live while the capture happens and end up with one master clips and lots of subclips.
Scene detection is only possible from DV or HDV sources due to the TOD code also present in the data stream.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:24:58 am

Actually, there is, but only for DV and HDV sources captured over FireWire.

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:15:15 am

Well this is all very interesting. I'm just starting out with AVID as is perhaps plain to see and also getting used to tapes rather than clip based media. I'm very curious what I actually saw when I was shown the procedure for ingesting footage in the other suite because something along the lines of what I was describing seemed to be happening and when I asked the guy showing me how it worked, he said he'd always wondered and didn't know. It was HDCAM too, not HDV or anything of the sort. When I next have access to that suite I'll have to try tape ingesting again to see what was really going on.

In an case I was aware one could do a single large master clip of the entire tape and then subclip it, but instinctively that didn't seem like the best way to handle things. Anyway it's become necessary to do things that way anyway because logging in and out points and batch capturing was way too time consuming. Thank you all for your help. It is simply another of a BIG list of things to get used to with AVID and with tapes. This is a whole different world and so weird and foreign when you've only experienced another.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Mar 12, 2013 at 8:09:48 am

No not capture then subclips. Subclip and name those subclips while capturing.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]