FORUMS: list search recent posts

Third monitor - MC 6.5 with mxo2 mini or nvidia 600 series

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Amit
Third monitor - MC 6.5 with mxo2 mini or nvidia 600 series
on Mar 10, 2013 at 12:59:57 pm

Hey,
I'm an offline editor, mainly working on full-length documentaries, and I would like to upgrade my system with a third monitor output for full screen playback with Avid MC 6.5
I got the Blackmagic Intensity Pro which was very disappointing. The picture didn't look good and MC acted strange with the card. So, it went back in the box and to the store.
The natural choice seemed to be paying double the price and getting the MXO2 mini. I'm wondering if it's really the best choice for me since I'm not planning on using the MXO2 mini capture abilities - just need a third monitor output for full screen playback. An alternative was brought to my attention - nvidia 600 series with 3 or 4 monitor outputs [roughly the same price as the MXO2 mini]. Right now I'm using nVIDIA GeForce GTX570 1.25GB GDDR5 - meaning enjoying the benefits of a newer and stronger graphic card.
Can MC 6.5 use these outputs and enable me to work with two screen for project windows and a third one for full screen playback? What's the cons and pros of getting MXO2 mini or one of the 600 series? Which will give me the best result for my use?
I would appreciate any thoughts and experienced conclusions.
Thanks ahead,
Noam Amit

My current system spec:
Intel Core i7-3930K 3.20 ~ 3.80 GHz x6 SIX CORE 12MB Cache
Ultra Silent 6 Heat-Pipe CPU Cooler
Intel X79 Express Based Main Board
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
nVIDIA GeForce GTX570 1.25GB GDDR5 152 GB/sec
120GB SATA-III 550MB/s Solid-State Drive 34nm Nand
2000GB 7200-RPM SATA3 6Gb/s +64MB Buffer
SATA DVD-RW x24 x48 +/- Dual Layer Compatible
Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
Avid Media Composer 6.5 with dongle
2x Samsung SyncMaster SA650
1x Dell UltraSharp U2410

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: Third monitor - MC 6.5 with mxo2 mini or nvidia 600 series
on Mar 10, 2013 at 1:47:49 pm

[Noam Amit] "The picture didn't look good"
Any professional video I/O device is going to output the same picture. That part is set in stone. Looking terrible would be the fault of your monitor, not the I/O device.

MXO2 mini runs terrible on Avid 6.5. They've been trying to fix the drivers for several years with little luck. AJA T-Tap is apparently the best of the bunch right now (bias alert, I also own one).

[Noam Amit] "Can MC 6.5 use these outputs and enable me to work with two screen for project windows and a third one for full screen playback?"
If the videocard can output 3 displays, then sure that could be done. My retina macbook pro can run 3 external displays and I have successfully done so in the identical manner that you're talking about.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 10, 2013 at 11:00:48 pm

He doesn't have Thunderbolt...he's on a MacPro tower. So the T-Tap, which is inexpensive and amazing...won't work.

AJA products are always the most compatible with Avid MC6 and later. They are always on top of the latest drivers, while BMD and Matrox seem to fall behind. Unfortunately there is no really cheap solution...but in the $1000 range there is the AJA IO Express. That is the cheapest, most compatible option, out there.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noam Amit
on Mar 12, 2013 at 2:02:01 pm

Thanks Shane for your recommendation.
To be honest, $1,000 seems a bit too much for my purposes [being a home-studio working on one documentary at a time].
Do you have any thoughts about using a 600 series graphic card with addition outputs? It's about $500 and I'm hoping it can be a good solution for a third screen playing my timelines at full screen.
Thanks again,
Noam

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:26:23 pm

[Noam Amit] "Do you have any thoughts about using a 600 series graphic card with addition outputs? It's about $500 and I'm hoping it can be a good solution for a third screen playing my timelines at full screen."

Sorry, I don't have experience with that card. But in my experience, trying to use three computer displays with Avid...one playing full screen video...is folly. Doesn't work. I've tried for a friend, and I know others who have tried and failed. If you get that figured out...let us know.

The MXO2 Mini is solid with Avid MC 5.5. It's just later versions that it's wonky with. But since you are considering $500 for a graphics card that MIGHT work...why not go the extra $500 for something that will work? Yes, you only do one doc at home a year...but this is an investment that will last. I bought my Kona 3 five years ago...still going strong. I just added the AJA IoXT for my laptop and that works great (I need to capture too, on occasion, otherwise I'd get the T-Tap).

Again...I'm one to shell out money for something that will work, rather than something that MIGHT work...because Avid isn't designed to work with three computer displays.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noam Amit
on Mar 12, 2013 at 1:53:52 pm

Thanks Daniel for the heads up about the MXO2 mini running terrible on MC 6.5
It looks like the cheapest and most simple way is buying one of the 600 series that has additional outputs.
Thanks again,
Noam

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on Mar 11, 2013 at 6:06:14 pm

Adding another external monitor (extended desktop) is really not a good idea. It is my understanding that the Avid is coded for 2 monitors, and I do not know it is worth the risk.

An AJA Kona LHi (HDMI connectors) or Kona LHe (2 HDSDI) connectors is going to give the best results based on my experience.

Return to posts index

Noam Amit
on Mar 12, 2013 at 2:11:49 pm

Thanks James for sharing your experience about using an AJA Kona LHi or Kona LHe. Although I'm afraid the price may be an issue for me, I will check it out.
As Daniel suggested by his experience Avid can output to a third monitor. By the way, my local dealer (who specializes in video and audio editing systems) said it can be done. I sure do hope so and will try to see if avid can confirm it is possible.
Thanks again,
Noam

Return to posts index

Christopher Burke
on Apr 10, 2014 at 6:31:40 am

Hi Noam,
Curious whether you ever sorted this out with a third monitor driven by a graphics card? I'm considering doing the same thing and would love to hear of your experience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]