FORUMS: list search recent posts

external drive for editing in MC 6 on a PC

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marilyn Jimenez
external drive for editing in MC 6 on a PC
on Mar 9, 2013 at 11:59:10 pm

I would like to know what is the best external drive (format) for editing with MC 6 on a PC. Currently, I edit on a MAC and use a Firewire drive. What would be an equivalent for a PC? I need to keep the project and the media files on the same drive. Thank you for your responses.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: external drive for editing in MC 6 on a PC
on Mar 10, 2013 at 12:24:27 am

400 or 800? I would suspect USB3 or eSATA will meet the same speed requirements accordingly.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 10, 2013 at 1:18:20 am

Are you talking about the type of drive or the drive format....??

Macs use MacOS Extended, PC's use NTFS.

If you want to use one drive for both Mac and PC you will have to get Paragon NTFS for Mac or MacDrive for the PC.

Either option may present some issues when editing with Avid, unfortunately. They are fine for file transfer between platforms, but with editing I have seen stability issues and quirky behavior.

Maybe someone who has had more success will chime in.

You could also format the drive ExFAT, which is cross platform. However, there is some risk, as it not as robust and more prone to data loss (so I have read, anyway).

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on Mar 11, 2013 at 6:12:25 pm

It's really all about the amount of data you need to get from the drives. So, whatever your resolution is.

You can put a firewire card in a PC, and connect an external drive to it.

As John indicated you have to be careful of formatting the drive. If it is formatted for Mac, the PC will not show the data on it. The PC will see the drive, but it will ask to format it.

MacDrive is a tested product on the PC that would enable you to read Mac on the PC.

But if you are just asking for the sake of using storage, you could use Firewire (800 is preferrable) or ESATA, which is considerably faster.

I am of the mindset that since drives are so cheap these days, you should get something redundant, so if a drive fails (it happens all the time) then you are not left trying to recover your data. A great box is the Gspeed ES Pro, with the Atto raid card. Good bang for the buck and redundant. So that your drive doesn't fail minutes before your deliverable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]