FORUMS: list search recent posts

Little green dots in MC 5.0.3/ Verifying interlaced or progressive

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ravich
Little green dots in MC 5.0.3/ Verifying interlaced or progressive
on Mar 8, 2013 at 7:49:10 pm

Hello all-

Running Avid MC 5.0.3, OS 10.6, on Mac Pro.

Working with 1080 29.97p Avid DNxHD media (DNxHD "cam" original created on external recorder, AMA-linked then consolidated in Avid) in what I thought was a 29.97p project in Avid. Strung out the clips in a sequence and got the little green dots. I said what I thought was a 29.97p project bec/ when I checked format settings, said it was 30i. So switched back to proper 29.97p project setting, and green dots still there. Looked at the clips in the bin, and FPS column says they're 29.97. Wouldn't have made a difference if I had AMA-linked/consolidated these 29.97p clips in a 30i format setting, would it?

Don't know how big an issue it is but green dot sequence seems to take significantly longer to export, and exports are crashing the app.

Could it be that these clips are somehow interlaced, and not progressive? Didn't shoot them myself. Free lance operator did, Nikon D800 to Sound Devices transcoder box. Suppose a lot of room for error there.

Clips are natively DNxHD 145 in Quicktime wrappers. So I can play them at finder level/QT app. Is there a full proof way for determining field type? I know var video players (Quicktime, etc) don't really id field type, as far as I can tell. And I can't seem to find the bin column setting that ids field type in Avid.

And if these are in fact native interlaced clips, and I still want to keep the project progressive overall (rest of the footage is progressive), what's the smart solution? Not going to re-conform this footage later, so what I ingest now is the master/"online" media we eventually cut, output and deliver to client.

Thanks, Nick.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Little green dots in MC 5.0.3/ Verifying interlaced or progressive
on Mar 8, 2013 at 10:17:45 pm

Don't forget to use the refresh sequence command after making format changes to update the motion adapters.
use field stepping from the command palette to check if interlaced or progressive (only works in an interlaced project)
if you do cut interlaced into a P project the green dots are the deinterlace process.Tweak the motion adapter properties for the desired effort level.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
Re: Little green dots in MC 5.0.3/ Verifying interlaced or progressive
on Mar 9, 2013 at 1:15:00 am

Thanks Pat.
Not familiar with refresh sequence command - where's that?
And by motion adaptors you mean the green dots? Are those in essence effects I can open (not at my machine now)? So I need to apply/render motion adaptors to work with interlaced footage in progressive project then.
Will try field stepping tool to verify whether prog or interlaced.
Nick.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]