FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 imported as DNx115 - how to make this works

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joana Rodrigues
C300 imported as DNx115 - how to make this works
on Mar 7, 2013 at 7:39:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I was parachuted on an ongoing project this week and a couple of things had already been done that I believe are not quite right. This is the scenario:

Footage shot 24p with the C300
Copy to a HD (there's a backup too)
Files imported to AVID (direct import) selecting DNx115
Project set as 23.98 fps
All this is for a tv show to be broadcasted at 59.94 fps
The director got the project and started classifying, creating bins and sub clips on AVID.

I know the workflow: AMA link > transcode to (let's say) DNx36 > relink w original file -- but because the director worked almost a month on the old project, I'm afraid I can't just create a new one and loose all his work.

So... my questions are:
Do I loose quality having a DNx 115 as final project?
If I do, is there a way I can bring all the changes in the old project to a new project?

And last but now least :)
If this who was shot in 24p and is to be broadcasted in 60p, what frame rate should I choose to my project?

All help is appreciated!
Thanks a lot in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: C300 imported as DNx115 - how to make this works
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:24:40 pm

Well, here's one good reason why a director shouldn't edit...they don't know what the heck they are doing technical wise. Sure, DNxHD 115 is a high quality codec. Not the BEST...it's a lower data rate one...not what I would have chosen. DNxHD175 is better...but still not what I would have chosen.

I edited a Discovery series shot with the C300. We AMA'd the footage, and then CONSOLIDATED...not transcoded. So the files were just moved and given Avid media names....we cut the native codec it shot. It shoots XDCAM in an MXF wrapper. But, if you wanted to do the offline/online thing, then you'd want to AMA, transcode to DNxHD 36...then relink to the masters and transcode the sequence to DNxHD 175x, or leave native.

Now, you are stuck with what the director has started. The quality isn't the best, but it's fine.

[Joana Rodrigues] "
Do I loose quality having a DNx 115 as final project?"

Yes, a little. But nothing major.

[Joana Rodrigues] "If I do, is there a way I can bring all the changes in the old project to a new project?"

What changes?

[Joana Rodrigues] "If this who was shot in 24p and is to be broadcasted in 60p, what frame rate should I choose to my project?"

ALWAYS edit in a project that matches the settings of your footage. When it comes time to deliver, take the project to a Symphony with Nitris DX that has Universal Mastering, and have them do the output.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joana Rodrigues
on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:37:09 pm

Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

The changes the director made to the project were: creating new bins and classifying everything, making some subclips and adding some notes. Is there a way I can bring all these changes to a new project so I can start the project from scratch without loosing his work?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 7, 2013 at 9:36:28 pm

Take his media offline. Try to relink his clips and subclips to the original source footage...basically AMA all the footage, then highlight the old clips, and try to relink them to the AMA footage. If that works, then transcode how you want. It might work. Unsure...it wasn't brought in via AMA to begin with...so it might not.

Does the Direct Imported footage have the same timecode as the original?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 8, 2013 at 3:06:09 pm

I usually do the ama and transcode to dnx 36, then relink up to 175 process, but before ama,- and before C300- we would import and digitize at low res, cut, delete and reimport to highres.

Now i typically would do the uprez on a DS box, so i don't need to bring in all the raw footage, it will allow me to import parts of files. MC will want to reimport all your raw clips, but if you have space, you should be able to batch import all your 115 clips up to 175.

How much footage are we talking about?

As for the 23.98...make sure you are timing your show out at 59.94 drop frame while you edit in 23.98

From there, can you not drop your 23.98 sequence into a 59.94 project for the conversion? (assuming you don't have access to proper Avid DX hardware.
(again, i don't usually do this step in MC, but in DS, so i'm guessing on that one)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Joana Rodrigues
on Mar 8, 2013 at 4:43:32 pm

First of all, thanks again for your answers. Much appreciated.

If I understood it right (please correct me if I'm wrong) the two solutions are quite similar:

step 1- take media offline (deleting the DNx115 files)

and then there're two versions of step 2

Shane's step 2: AMA raw footage> relink the offline clips to the AMA footage> transcode or consolidate

And Glenn's step 2: Batch import all raw files as DNx175 > relink the offline clips to the recently imported footage

I'm now copying the entire project (2T) to a new disk so I can run some tests without loosing anything. I'll come back with the results asap.

Many thanks,
Joana

Return to posts index

Joana Rodrigues
on Mar 14, 2013 at 2:39:23 pm

Hi everyone,

I finally had the chance to try these two options, but it didn't work as planned.
I definitely can't link AMA my media... I suspect the reason is that the link wasn't made in the first place, since the footage was imported into MC, so it wouldn't let me relink. Does it make sense?

I also tried option 2, but wasn't able to batch import either. I could only import the files in DNx175 one by one because of my folders structure:

JOUR 01
>2013-02-27
>>CONTENTS
>>>CLIPS001
>>>>FA3172

FA3172.CIF
FA3172.CPF
FA3172.XML
FA3172.MXF
FA3172.CIF

MC would't let me select all the files to batch import, I could only select one file.

Am I doing something wrong? Please help.

Thanks a lot!!
Joana

Return to posts index

Joana Rodrigues
on Mar 14, 2013 at 3:20:39 pm

Update:

Batch import works when I copy all the XML files to a new renamed folder and point that as my location, but I'm not sure if I loose any important information/metadata on doing that. Anyone?

What are these other files?
.CIF .CPF .XML and .CIF

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 14, 2013 at 7:39:07 pm

I just tried both methods and had success each way, although i was doing a very simple test:

C300 source clips on my shared storage.

made a brand new sequence
manually drove into the folder structure and selected 1 C300 mxf file and imported it at dnx36

did a basic edit with this one file. took sections out for a total of 3 edits.

decomposed the sequence to take it offline.

In a seperate bin i have all my c300 ama links for this entire project.
I select all those clips (command A) then select my sequence in the other bin. Right click to relink. Select the second option down of selecting items in all open bins.
select "allow relinking of ama linked clips to source file"

might have to play with a couple of other settings depending on the version of Avid you are on

I usually turn off create new sequence

everything relinked to the full res ama linked clips.

Then i cut another sequence with the imported dnx36 shot...did the same kind of edit.
selected my sequence right clicked and said batch import.
told it to import everything (not just offline clips)

It came up with a screen asking me where the footage was, since i didn't move it, i simply set the resoluction to full res and said go.

clip imported just fine, this time at high res.

Not sure why you are having issues. If you have been moving source files around, perhaps your directory structure has been damaged. C300 would be one
of those items that you want to maintain the original structure if possible...although at least you can do a manual import on a per file basis if that is necessary.

Return to posts index

Joana Rodrigues
on Mar 14, 2013 at 8:06:21 pm

Hi there,

For the AMA option, what I did was select my bin in MC, right click, link to AMA, but it gives me an error msg. I didn't do the opposite path of File>LinkAMAVolume then with my links in MC do the relink, because I figured I would loose all the markers and comments on my clips, right? (not sure)

For the batch import option, I think the problem might be that the location of my original files has indeed been changed. Does the batch import works for you when you move the files and select another location (let's say another external drive)?

Thanks a lot!
Joana

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]