FORUMS: list search recent posts

METAFUZE: Long file-names are shortened, BIG ISSUE!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Bale
METAFUZE: Long file-names are shortened, BIG ISSUE!
on Mar 3, 2013 at 3:56:41 pm

We are batch converting a bunch of files shot on the Alexa, using Metafuze to get it ready for off-line-editing in Avid ... only, we've just noticed a little issue, that could turn out to be a BIG PROBLEM!

The file names on the Alexa are:

REEL+CLIPNAME_DATE_4RANDOMCharacters.MOV = A002C001_03192013_RAJ4.MOV

For some reason, Metafuze puts in a shortened version on the metadata for AVID, where the clipname is now, A002C002_03192012_R ... thus leaving out the last 3 characters...

When we import the ALE in the MXFs in AVID, the clipnames are still 3 characters short, and also when we export the EDL for later onlining...

This could potentially mean, that we will not be able to re-link the media back to the original files in the on-line proces (done at a post-house, probably thru some Autodesk system)

HOW is it possible to preserve the WHOLE FILENAME as the metadata "clip name" in metafuze? Or is there simply a character-limit on this metadata??

Thx for any help!
Sean.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: METAFUZE: Long file-names are shortened, BIG ISSUE!
on Mar 3, 2013 at 4:50:24 pm

I have always been a fan of Metauze when it first came out, but since the release of DaVinci Resolve Lite for free on both Mac and Windows platforms, it pretty much has replaced MetaFuze for me in my workflows. Combined with the fact that Avid's updating and support of it is rather hit & miss, I think you will be far better served with Resolve for this as well.

Check out this rather hard to find Avid whitepaper on Digital Cinema Camera workflows: http://www.avid.com/static/resources/documents/whitepapers/digital_camera/d...

Resolve will make native MXF/DNxHD with or without LUT as needed. And just in case, is known to do a little color correction as well. ;)

Michael

Return to posts index

Sean Bale
on Mar 3, 2013 at 5:10:37 pm

Hi Michael :) Thanks for your reply --- we would really prefer the Metafuze-workflow. it seems simpler and easier, and it is gonna be a non-tech-person who's converting the files on set...

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 3, 2013 at 9:10:34 pm

Well I can go on a whole other diatribe about non-tech folks being responsible for "dailies"... but using Resolve is not that more complex that Resolve once you got settings for your output set up. And you get the benefit of the entire file name which is essential to a conform downstream. And I can't remember if MetaFuze has a LogC to Rec.709 LUT should the ProRess have been shot 444 with LogC.

You may have to contact someone at Avid about the filename truncation. MetaFuze originaly was to allow for R3D files and DPX into MXF/DNxHD so perhaps it was assumed no more than 16 characters? DPX can have a lot more. Let us know what you find out.

Michael

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:16:38 pm

Pretty sure that 6.5.2 lets you ignore part of the source file name when relinking ("Ignore characters after last occurance"). So as long as you have card/clip number you might already be fine.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 3, 2013 at 10:33:40 pm

You might get away with that, but why risk it when there is a simple solution? You can ignore after last separator - so in essence you are truncating the part of the file that makes it unique. You also need to be careful with Alexa ProRes that it contains an embedded REEL ID as well that is a reduced 8 character version of the filename that when combined with timecode is what makes it unique. Avid AMA does not access that at all - so be careful there.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]