FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Symphon 6.5.2 getting stuck at startup

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Field
Avid Symphon 6.5.2 getting stuck at startup
on Feb 26, 2013 at 11:10:25 pm

Anyone experience this/no a solution? Avid Symphony 6.5.2 on a Mac Retina Powerbook System 10.7.5 plenty of ram - gets stuck on start up at the point where it says Initializing Avid Media Access Volume Manager. Any ideas to unstick it? Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid Symphon 6.5.2 getting stuck at startup
on Feb 26, 2013 at 11:46:29 pm

Do you have drives of any kind attached to the MacBookPro? Be it hard drive, network drive, whatever, etc.

Michael

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:00:58 am

Yes a thunderbolt drive - is that the issue?

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 27, 2013 at 12:19:25 am

I don't know for sure, but start by elimination and see if it boots up. If so, then add the drive and try again.

Michael

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Feb 27, 2013 at 7:34:17 am

Thanks for suggestions - unfortunately nothing worked (disconnect wifi - drives - reboot etc) Uninstalled and reinstalled Symphony - working again - odd Thanks for your help

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 27, 2013 at 1:07:27 pm

Are you sure it is stuck? I have two machines that take a long time. I would let it churn for up to 5 min and see if it finds itself. My systems routinely take at least a minute or more at this stage of the launch.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Feb 28, 2013 at 4:52:33 pm

Hi Oliver - seemed pretty stuck - left it alone for an hour and came back - still stuck on the AMA deal - disconnected drives and wifi - no help - uninstalled - reinstalled -everything fine again - odd -

I am getting whiplash jumping from NLE to NLE - was a FCP7 wiz - have clients that want AVID timelines delivered so forced myself to learn it - not as enamored but probably because I don't have the keystroke muscle memory yet - big fan of Premiere which is more FCP7 like but needs work on audio mixing and media management (and more robust set of 3rd party transition plug ins)

Symphony's a nice step up from MC with the included Boris BCC plugins and CC --

we all have to know it all now until there's a clear leader again

Thanks for your help and suggestions

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on Feb 28, 2013 at 2:40:24 am

This can sometimes be an issue with the "hidden" database files. When it says iniitializing Media Streams, it always has something to do with the databases.

Is there an Avid MediaFiles folder on the top level of any drive, including the OS drive? If so, rename it to xAvid MediaFiles.

Then go to Machd->Applications->Symphony->Supporting Files->Avid_MediaFiles Then delete the msm.fmid and msm.pmr files.

Now relaunch and see if it is happy.

If it is not, login as root and see if it works. It could be a permissions issue.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Feb 27, 2013 at 11:34:46 pm

Switch off WiFi, then try again.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 28, 2013 at 4:20:23 pm

I have had this happen on two different systems. (one mac and one Windows)
It is a database issue, but it is not connected to one of your actual storage drive databases.

On windows i found the culprit in my users/avid area. On Mac i was having trouble finding it. (i think it ended up being in the applications/mediacomposer/(show package contents) area.

Either way, just do a search for MDB files and delete any that aren't on an actual storage drive. Or better yet, just delete them all. Avid will rebuild the ones it needs, and ignore the rest.

Glenn

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Jun 2, 2013 at 2:06:09 pm

Just upgraded to 6.5 from 6.0.3, on mbp 10.8, both have the long delay when booting up while it looks for media files!

I now pull out the LAN ethernet lead whilst it boots (quickly) and reconnect once avid has completed,

works every time, not sure what it is spending so long looking for on my home network.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]