FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relink master clip to different video

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Paez
Relink master clip to different video
on Feb 26, 2013 at 9:47:36 pm

I have two master clips in my bin. One of them has been imported wrong and has two small black bars on each side. That master clip has been used in a sequence. Is there a way to unlink the video of that master clip and relink it to another media file that I have of the same footage imported correctly?

I know I can just match frame my way out of it and replace the clips but it's pretty time consuming and I would just like to know if there's a way.

I don't have the original media files anymore but when I did I tried to batch import that footage but for some reason it would always import with the black bars and that didn't happen when I did a clean import.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
Re: Relink master clip to different video
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:59:08 pm

I know we do something akin to relinking master clips to a different media file in our color correction process. Here's what I would try. First consolidate the offending clip to another media drive, selecting "Delete Original" when doing the consolidate. Unlink the offending master clip from its media file. To do this hold both ctrl and shift while rightclicking the master clip; UNLINK CLIP will appear in the context menu. Once the media is offline, you can start the relink by righclicking on the master clip without using ctrl and shift. RELINK will appear where UNLINK had been. Your media drives will appear as a pulldown menu, so select the drive where you feel the good clip lives, also uncheck "current project only." Assuming the good and bad clips were of identical duration and had matching metadata, the masterclip that was used in your edits should relink to the good media.

M. Scott Cole
Senior Post Production Editor
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Adam Paez
Re: Relink master clip to different video
on Mar 3, 2013 at 12:23:19 am

The clips are both imported from the same source file. An avi in the DV format I believe. But for some reason they both have different time codes and one master clip is one frame longer than the other. Moreover the one I want to relink to doesn't have a Tape name like the offending clips does. Tried giving the offending clip a new source by unlinking and making them the same but couldn't make it relink.

Will just manually replace clips on the timeline.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tina Hedegaard
Re: link master clip to different video
on Mar 24, 2013 at 1:22:46 pm

Normalt you Can batch import the clip and the sequence World update

Thanks

Tina Hedegaard
Editor | Assisting Editor
Final Cut Pro 7 | Media Composer 5.5.3/6.0.3 | Adobe Premiere Pro CS6
Mac OS 10.6.8| Mac OS 10.7.4 | Mac OS 10.8.2

Return to posts index