FORUMS: list search recent posts

properly ingesting 60 fps footage from Sony FS-100 into Media Composer

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Brune
properly ingesting 60 fps footage from Sony FS-100 into Media Composer
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:26:51 pm

I'm trying to ingest/import MTS files from my FS-100 footage into AVID media composer and I can't get the clips to play back in slow motion as they do in the camera when checking footage. I'm not talking about slowing footage down with a motion effect I'm talking about turning 60 fps footage into properly slowed down 30 or 24 fps footage. I've tried Handbrake, Clipwrap, different import settings, different project settings and cannot figure it out. Everything I've tried ingests as 29.97 with no slow motion playback. Any advice?

John Brune

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: properly ingesting 60 fps footage from Sony FS-100 into Media Composer
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:32:27 pm

You need to import the footage into a project with the same settings as the footage. Then, you make a project with the settings you want to use it in...say 23.98. When you add a clip to the timeline, you'll see that it has a green dot. That indicates that it has a different frame rate.

OK, now, in the hamburger menu between the INSERT and OVERWRITE arrows, select the MOTION EFFECT option...right below the "E." In the window that pops up, hit PROMOTE to make this effect a TIMEWARP. Click on the running guy graph (that's the speed change graph). Note that it lists the speed there as 125%, or 150%...something other than 100%. Change it to 100%, and notice that your clip now plays back in slow motion, and smoothly.

Is the clip 720p60? or 1080p60? You might have issues with 1080p60 footage in Avid...that's non standard.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Brune
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:39:31 pm

Thanks Shane. It's 1080p/60.

I will try the settings you suggest and report back. Thanks!

John Brune

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

John Brune
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:44:52 pm

It won't even let me import the 60 fps file into AVID. It says file type not supported. I'm assuming I have to transcode thru something else. I was able to get a nice 60fps .mp4 version thru Handbrake but it's taking forever to import into AVID so I've shut it down.

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:01:22 pm

Yup...1080p60 is a non-standard format, not supported by Avid. 30fps is the standard for 1080...60 is the realm of 720p. So, you will have to do the conversion somewhere else. I do this with Cinema Tools on the FCP side. First convert the file to ProRes, then Cinema Tools will conform it to the speed I want...making smooth slow motion. I am not aware of another tool that will do that. There must be something out there for Avid folk..

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

John Brune
on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:31:42 pm

Thanks again Shane. As frustrating as this is at least your input will prevent me from pulling my head out wondering why I can't break the 59.94 riddle with this footage. Appreciate it!

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:33:38 pm

GOT IT! ClipWrap2 from divergentmedia.com will convert your AVCHD to DNxHD, and conform the speed as well...in one step! Do that, then bring the footage into your project and CONSOLIDATE to wrap it as MXF.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

John Brune
on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:37:02 pm

Wow! I will try that. I have ClipWrap 2.5.8 Will that work?

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

John Brune
on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:54:43 pm

I tried what you suggested using the version of Clipwrap that I mentioned. I still got a 29.97 clip into AVID with no slow mo. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Clipwrap has no details in it about 59.94 converting to 29.97 and the Consolidate feature in AVID (which I've never used) made no sense to me whatsoever.

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:56:33 pm

Update it to 2.6 (The CHECK FOR UPDATES...it's free!).

And I'll steer the ClipWrap guys to this post...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Colin McFadden
on Feb 13, 2013 at 7:37:45 pm

Hi John - Just so I'm clear, did you enable the "allow framerate adjustment" setting in ClipWrap and then set a new value in the dropdown?

If you're not having luck, shoot me an email at support@divergentmedia.com and maybe we can grab a sample file from you to confirm with here.

-Colin (divergent media)

Return to posts index

John Brune
on Feb 13, 2013 at 8:06:06 pm

No I hadn't adjusted any of those things. I just tried it like you suggested and got a successful slow mo clip from it. Thanks a Ton!!! Love ClipWrap! Keep up the great work!

John Brune

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Sarah Furie
on May 10, 2016 at 6:52:29 pm

I have 59.94 footage that I am trying to bring into Avid. I started using ClipWrap from your suggestion to someone else and it won't take my MOV files in.

Any other suggestion to keep my footage 59.94 without converting it in Avid?

Return to posts index

John Brune
on May 10, 2016 at 7:17:04 pm

Sarah are you ingesting footage into an AVID project that is selected for 59.94 clips? When you create a new project you would need to select 1080i/59.94 or 720p/59.94

Beyond that if clipwrap or MPEG Streamclip cannot help you I don't know what to suggest.

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Sarah Furie
on May 10, 2016 at 7:27:16 pm

I am in a 1080p / 29.97 project and have some 720p / 59.94 footage to bring in. Not sure how to do it without converting to 29.97.

Return to posts index

John Brune
on May 10, 2016 at 7:28:48 pm

I would ingest it into a separate 720p/59.94 project and then open it in your 1080p project and it should let you cut it into your sequence. Render it when you're finished. Should be it...!

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 10, 2016 at 7:30:16 pm

[Sarah Furie] "I am in a 1080p / 29.97 project and have some 720p / 59.94 footage to bring in. Not sure how to do it without converting to 29.97."

AHHH....OK. Whew. Not 1080p60 then. OK, bring that footage into a 720p60 project...transcode to DNxHD...then bring that bin into your 1080 29.97 project.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 10, 2016 at 7:29:03 pm

[John Brune] "When you create a new project you would need to select 1080i/59.94"

NOOOOOOOOOO! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

NO!

1080i60 IS NOT 60fps!! it is 29.97fps. This needs to be understood by EVERYONE. 720p59.94...THAT is 60fps. "p" means PROGRESSIVE, and then the number that follows is FRAMES PER SECOND. but "i" is INTERLACED, and the number that follows is FIELDS PER SECOND. Two fields per frame...30fps, at 29.97.

Sorry...gotta stop this misconception...it's rampant.

[Sarah Furie] " I started using ClipWrap from your suggestion to someone else and it won't take my MOV files in. "

Clipwrap is for AVCHD files only. So they must be from a camera that records AVCHD. EditReady, from the same company, is for all camera formats. BUT!!! if the file is MOV, you don't need to use ClipWrap. Simply AMA link to it in Avid...in a 1080p60 project (NOT 1080i60!!!!) or 1080p59.94. Link in there...transcode in there, then bring into a project with your current frame rate.

UNLESS...you have Avid MC 8.3...or is it 8.4? That allows you to transcode and keep the frame rate of the original file? Might be 8.4 and 8.5 that do that.

[Sarah Furie] "
Any other suggestion to keep my footage 59.94 without converting it in Avid?"

Why are you against converting in Avid? EditReady will do this. Media Encoder, Squeeze...convert to 1080p59.94 DNxHD.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Sarah Furie
on May 10, 2016 at 7:36:52 pm

The biggest question I have is.... is 59.94 the same as 29.97? Because, I don't see any slo-mo on these clips but my director wants them slo-mo (maybe just added in post, but then why shoot them in 59.94 instead of 29.97 which he shot everything else at?)

So, I bring them in to my 1080p/29.97 project, and they only want to be converted to 29.97 and I am unsure as to what that does, so I am hesitant. If the director wants them at 59.94, and I am an assistant editor I just want to follow directions as best as possible.

If the clips were only meant to be slo-mo'ed in Avid, and converted them into the project frame rate in AVID isn't a problem, then I will do it and it will make me a happy camper.

Why the need to shoot 59.94 if it wasn't going to be slo-mo in camera?

Also, making a separate project for this footage seems crazy to share to my editor (to tell him to open this specific bin with a different frame rate).

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 10, 2016 at 7:48:23 pm

[Sarah Furie] "The biggest question I have is.... is 59.94 the same as 29.97?"

If it's called "1080i60" or "1080i59.94" then it runs at 29.97fps. Only if it's called 720p60, 720p59.94, 1080p60 or 1080p59.94 does it run at 60fps. If the camera doesn't shoot those latter "p" formats, but only shoots the "i" formats...then it doesn't shoot for slow motion.

[Sarah Furie] "Because, I don't see any slo-mo on these clips but my director wants them slo-mo"

Then you'll have to reduce the speed to 50% and have every other frame repeat...might even PROMOTE the clips and try to use FLUID MOTION on them...that often helps. And you can try TWIXTOR for After Effects.

[Sarah Furie] "but then why shoot them in 59.94 instead of 29.97 which he shot everything else at?"

If you shot 1080p59.94...then the footage would be 60fps, and you could slow it down to 29.97fps and it would be smooth, 50% slow motion.

[Sarah Furie] "So, I bring them in to my 1080p/29.97 project, and they only want to be converted to 29.97 "

What version of Avid do you have? 8.3 and lower and you can only transcode to the frame rate of the project. 8.4 and up, you can transcode and keep the native frame rate. BUT..as stated before, if shot 1080i59.94...the footage really is 29.97fps.

[Sarah Furie] "Why the need to shoot 59.94 if it wasn't going to be slo-mo in camera? "

You shoot 59.94 if you like the look, and the deliverable requires it. BUT AGAIN...you need to indicate 1080p or 1080i...that's a VERY important distinction when talking about 59.94. Because the P and the I make that 59.94 mean different things.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

John Brune
on Feb 21, 2013 at 7:52:30 pm

Followup: Today I simply dragged and dropped some 60 fps footage into AVID and it went right in. No transcoding or conversion thru ClipWrap. Weird. I just don't understand what (or if) I did differently. The slow mo stuff is slow and the timelapse stuff looks like it's supposed to. It's good to know Clip Wrap works in case I run into a snag. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP EVERYONE!!!

John Brune
Fort Wayne, IN
steadicamjr@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]