FORUMS: list search recent posts

Usual export formats

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jeffs
Usual export formats
on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:51:44 pm

I'm curious what formats do you find exporting out of avid more any any others? Also does anyone have a standard export for keeping finished project on hand? Hopefully that make sense, I'm just trying get some info

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Usual export formats
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:08:21 pm

Mostly outputting to tape still. But barring that, DNxHD 175, 145 or 220x. Awaiting the day we can export OP1a for delivery. But mainly tape. Some H.264 for web things, but that is mainly for review of cuts.

[Mike Jeffs] "Also does anyone have a standard export for keeping finished project on hand?"

Yes...Make a bin and put the final project in it. Then Consolidate that sequence, trimming so that only the footage in the cut with handles is consolidated, to a separate drive. I archive that drive and the project on that drive. So I have the FULL project in case I need to recapture the media, but I also have the cut in case anything needs to be tweaked or re-output. I also keep a full res DNxHD QT of the final.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:11:05 pm

I export Quicktime Reference during the edit/review/revise process and use Adobe Media Encoder (AME) to compress the reference files to .h264 to send to clients.

Once an edit is locked and approved I export a final Quicktime Reference and use AME to make either a ProRes or DNxHD master file and whatever else the deliverable might be (.h264, MPEG2, etc...).

To back up the project I append the Avid MediaFiles folder with the project name (for example, Avid MediaFiles Project1234), move it to the main project folder (all projects have one primary folder with all elements related to it placed inside the folder - for example, PROJECT1234 contains subfolders for Avid, After Effects, Audio, Final Deliverables, etc...), and back up the entire project to hard drive. We run shared storage so we leave it like that for a few days so the backup system can dump it to LTO tape, then we delete it. When we need to bring the project back online we just move the Avid MediaFiles folder to the root of the drive and open Avid, revise, move it back into the project folder and rearchive.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Feb 14, 2013 at 1:08:40 am

So I find we end up exporting a lot of op1a xdcam 50 mxfs for delivery to our omneon play out server. Thing is its a far faster export then any flavor of mov. From my tests the mxf export is about real time or faster, the mov is about 1x slower then real time.

So I end up just using the xdcam mxf as our master output file, but of course there isn't a easy way to preview these files on the PC or Mac without bringing them back into avid. So what do you think I should sacrifice, the speed of export for the ease of viewing, or should I keep the mxf since a lot of times it's going to be in that format for play out.

Decisions decisions.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]