FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I import an MPEG video clip into Avid Xpress Pro?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Fragola
How do I import an MPEG video clip into Avid Xpress Pro?
on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:55:29 am

I realize that I have an old version of AVID (Xpress Pro) ... but maybe someone can still help/advise me here.
I just bought a web-format (came in MPEG) clip from ShutterStock.com ...
But now my AVID won't allowing me to import it as a message box just keeps coming up saying that "format is not supported".
Anyone know how I can get that MPEG clip into my AVID?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

James Patterson
Re: How do I import an MPEG video clip into Avid Xpress Pro?
on Feb 13, 2013 at 12:16:28 pm

Convert it to Pro Res using mpeg streamclip

http://www.squared5.com/

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Dean Fragola
on Feb 14, 2013 at 12:48:37 am

Hey Paddy,
Thanks so much! I'm not sure if I did it right, but I went with the DV25 conversion option.
Thanks again.
Dean

Return to posts index

Dean Fragola
on Feb 14, 2013 at 1:59:14 am

Maybe you can help me with the settings? ... as I'm able to make a format conversion that AVID is accepting, but it has a "jerky stutter type motion" to it ... and I'm assuming that that's because my sequences is in 24p and I'm probably bringing in a 30 frame rate clip ...
I tried changing the conversion setting to 24fps, but that isn't solving the problem ...
Can you think of any other settings / adjustments that I should try while making the conversion?
Thanks.
Dean

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Feb 14, 2013 at 11:15:47 am

Oh I forgot you can do Avid DNx in MPEG Streamclip.

Import your clip to Mpeg streamclip

Export to quicktime

select Avid DNxHD codec - select the correct resolution in the options e.g. 1080p/29.97

If you're working in a 24p project you're going to have to import any footage of a different frame rate into it's own separate project, so 29.97 footage into a 29.97 project. Then open the bin with that footage from within your 24p project. When you drop the 29.97 footage on your timeline it will have a dot to show you that it's got a motion effect on it. If you click on the clip and open the motion effect editor you can promote the effect in order to change the type to fluid motion (which will give the nicest playback)

That's the method in media composer, I don't know what features are available in xpress pro.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Dean Fragola
on Feb 14, 2013 at 5:02:23 pm

Thanks!
I think the key was, like you mentioned, selecting the AVID Codec.
And actually, when I then when to import the newly made conversion into my 24p project, an options box came up asking me if I wanted to keep it in it's original frame rate or to have Avid convert it to the frame rate of my current project ...
So I think I'm in pretty good shape here.
Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]