FORUMS: list search recent posts

same clips in two different bins - how to act

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mr dirden
same clips in two different bins - how to act
on Feb 12, 2013 at 8:02:07 pm

Hey, so I had this weird crash of Avid.
I had a bin for all the transcoded AMA's, called offline bin, and I had many other bins - one for each shot of the film I edit. I was in the middle of dragging (moving, not copying by ALT+drag) the clips from the offline bin to the appropriate bins of shots, closing each bin I've finished to transfer the clips to (and therefor saving the bin's content). But I didn't close or save the offline bin. Then Avid crashed.
Now, I have the same clips, not copied but moved, but each clip is in two bins: the offline one, and the shot numbered one. The thing is: what do I do? Ignore that? delete the ones in the offline? delete the ones in the shot bins and moving them all again from the offline?

Thanx.

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
Re: same clips in two different bins - how to act
on Feb 13, 2013 at 1:36:45 am

With Avid you have to realize that "clips" within a bin are just pointers to the actual media files. You can have multiple "pointers" or clips pointing to the same media file. I'm going to ignore AMA linked clips for the purpose of this answer. If you have a clip representing a shot in one bin it's just a pointer to one or several media files, typically for a short shot, 1 video file and then one audio file for each track of audio. very long video clips are typically comprised of several video files, based on the size limits of those video files. And in some cases a "master clip" may not point to any media, in which case you'll get a "media offline" display. All that being said, you can have a master clip in one bin and another master clip in a second bin pointing to the same media files, and this won't cause any real issues. For example I may be using a clip of music in one of my open bins, and I'll mark in and out points. when I close that bin, those points will stay put, and be there when I re-open that bin the next day. At the same time, another editor may have that same set of audio files represented by a copy of that master clip. When the other editor changes the marks within his bin, those marks will stay put for him as he saves and re-opens the bin. There really is no adverse affect that I'm aware of, other than possible naming confusion, when you have two clips referring to the same media files.

M. Scott Cole
Senior Post Production Editor
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
on Feb 13, 2013 at 1:44:57 am

One other point, if you feel you have extra sets of master clips, there are a couple of ways you can deal with it. If all the "extra clips" are in one bin, and you know you have valid master clips for all your media, just delete the first bin. You aren't really deleting any media this way, just a set if master clips pointing to that media. Of course be careful that you don't have any sequences or any other information in that bin you are trashing. The other thing you can do is delete the clips individually, but when the delete dialogue comes up, just select "master clips," do NOT select the actual media files. Those media files will still remain linked to the other set of master clips. That being said, quite frankly, I'd just close the offending bin and ignore it. Remember Bins are only meta-data, not real media, and hardly take up any space in the grand scheme of things. All it really contains is a set of pointers to your media, which you can safely ignore if you have other bins with master clips to the same media.

M. Scott Cole
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

mr dirden
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:54:13 am

Thank you Scott for the great answer.

I was linking to AMA, then transcoding. When I do that - the actual media that the clips and subclips I create later on point to, is the transcoded materials in my AMF folder, right?
So as you said two "doubled" clips are pointing to the same media, and one could be deleted safely as long as I don't delete the master material.

I'd be happy if you'll throw a few words about AMA-linked clips.

The reason I'd like to not have extra clips of the same thing, is that I work with a lot of material, and I'd like to stay focused, to have my project in order, to know exactly what material is in what bin, and not to get confused. Instead of deleting, I can always push them to some "doubled" bin and ignore them, I think...

Thanx again

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
on Feb 13, 2013 at 11:58:25 am

Unfortunately, my position at work doesn't often present me with the need to deal with AMA, as I'm a finishing editor, and by the time material gets to me, all of the media I deal with is Avid managed media. But I have tinkered with AMA and will do my best to answer.

Old school traditional Avid media all lives in an MXF (or formerly OMF) folder within a folder called Avid Media Files. In that folder are all of your audio and video media files along with a couple of database files keeping track of all of the media. All of those files must be in the very specific forms that your Avid software can deal with, using one of the native codecs.

On the other hand, AMA files live wherever you want them to, and are not at all managed by the Avid editing application. AMA just provides pointers to that media. I believe this is the way both FCP and Premier work. As succeeding versions of Avid have come out, they've added newer AMA codec capabilities.

You are correct when you state that when you transcode your AMA clips, the media is copied into the Avid Media Files Folder, and then master clips pointing to that media are created. At that point the right thing to do remove the AMA linked media from your workflow (assuming you've transcoded all the material you'll need for your project). And yes you are correct with your other assumptions. You can have two or more clips pointing to the same media in your Avid Media Folders, you can push those extra clips into a "doubles bin." You can then safely delete that bin, and be done with all the doubles. Or you can just simply delete the Master Clips but as I stated earlier, not delete the media. Either way is fine.

And remember, if you accidentally delete the only master clip but don't delete media all is still not lost. The Media Tool will find and catalog all viable media for you within your various Avid Media Folders.

M. Scott Cole
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

mr dirden
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:51:50 pm

Thanx very much.
I won't delete the ama's, as I want to relink the transcoded clips to the ama's when going to online, I've only transcoded to dnxhd36 for smooth edit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]