FORUMS: list search recent posts

MC 6.5 Simultaneous 5.1 and stereo outputs during playout.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Cole
MC 6.5 Simultaneous 5.1 and stereo outputs during playout.
on Feb 8, 2013 at 12:35:41 pm

First of all, apologies for what may be a long winded post.

We currently work with Avid MC 5.5 on NitrisDX. Our shows are mixed 5.1 Audio. However unlike most shows where a full edit is done and then sent out to mixing, we are handed several stories and a variety of other elements that are pre-mixed with 5.1 audio and a mono mix on track 7 (and now a stereo mix on track 7 and 8 for a new show we do). As we put the show together, we combine these premixed sequences laying the mixes out on tracks 1-8 and and if we need to overlap, we use 9-16 for the second premix. Track 1 mixes with Track 9 and outputs onto track 1, track 2 and 10 mixes out onto track 2, so on and so forth. This process works just fine for us. Our one issue is that we only really monitor the 5.1 surround mix as we work. We take it on blind faith that the track 7 mono mix (and now the track 7 and 8 stereo mix) is created correctly as we work on the show. This process has worked very well for us for quite a while.

Our shows are often edited on a day of air deadline, and we don't have a whole lot of time to monitor audio in every way we should, i.e. full 5.1, stereo and mono mixdowns of the the 5.1. And we never really get a chance to listen to the mono mix on track 7 (or stereo mix on 7 and 8).

I know from my reading that MC 6.5 has a lot more audio capabilities to handle 5.1 audio, including the ability to do correct mono and stereo mixdowns of a sequence (or part of a sequence), but again this could be time consuming when we are talking about barely having time to make air on occasion. What I'm wondering is, does MC 6.5 have the ability to do simultaneous live mixdowns of a 5.1 mix, putting the mono or stereo mixdowns on tracks 7 and 8 while playing out the 5.1 mix on tracks 1-6?

M. Scott Cole
Senior Post Production Editor
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]