FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding ProRes 422 HQ files for Multicam edit

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andi Turner
Transcoding ProRes 422 HQ files for Multicam edit
on Feb 6, 2013 at 5:29:32 pm

Looking for a bit of advice...

I'm about to receive a drive full of concert rushes - 12 camera ISOs all shot at 1080i50, and recorded as Apple ProRes HQ 422 files.

I was planning on linking to the ProRes files via AMA, and transcoding them to DNxHD 185 MXF for editing in multicam mode.

Is this the best workflow? Is there a better resolution to transcode to? I read somewhere that DNxHD 145 is the equivalent of ProRes HQ 422, but it doesn't come up in my list of options. I'm using Media Composer 5.5.1.

I'd like to avoid any messy relinking at the end, so want to work with the best resolution media I can, but at the same time I am concerned about drive space so don't want to use unnecessarily large files.

All opinions welcomed!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Transcoding ProRes 422 HQ files for Multicam edit
on Feb 6, 2013 at 7:47:16 pm

12 streams of 185x most likely will not play back in real time. 12 streams of anything may struggle depending on data rate as well as speed of drive(s) and connection. Also, you will have to work in "banks" since you can only see up to 9 views at time in the multicam interface.

I would suggest testing the platform, drives, and connection with different data rate codecs to see what kind of performance you can get with the 9 camera view.

Michael

Return to posts index

Andi Turner
on Feb 6, 2013 at 11:19:02 pm

Thanks Michael. I've had no problem with using 2 banks of 9 before, but my ISOs in the past have always been supplied on tape, therefore I've been able to work at 10:1 in SD and conform the finished cut from tape to DNxHD 185.

The problem I have is that with tapeless source files there isn't an effective way to work with low resolution media for the offline... unless I'm missing something!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 7, 2013 at 1:42:42 am

You could consider (AKA test!) AMA link to the ProRes in an SD project, transcode to a 10:1m resolution, group and edit, commit multicam edits, and relink back to ProRes via AMA and transcode to final master resolution.

Another thing missing is for file based formats, there is no consistency in keeping all clips from the same camera in the same viewer (unless something has changed recently). It would be great if multicam looked to the "Camera" column for this to happen.

Michael

Return to posts index

Andi Turner
on Feb 7, 2013 at 10:07:21 am

That sounds like it should work, but I'm unsure how to re-link back to the AMA files after finishing the edit (and committing the multicam edits).

Do I decompose the sequence and re-link the new clips? Do I re-link the original Master Clips (i.e. the ones I created with the first transcode)? I've never really had much success with re-linking in the past so perhaps I've been doing it wrong! I was under the impression that you can only re-link to media files not AMA files...

And am I right in thinking that however you manage the re-link/transcode to final master resolution, you have to bring in EVERYTHING at full res (i.e. all of camera 1 - for example - regardless of how many shots you've used in the edit) as opposed to how a tape conform only brings in the parts of clips that you need?

Return to posts index

Andi Turner
on Feb 7, 2013 at 12:36:43 pm

That sounds like it should work, but I'm unsure how to re-link back to the AMA files after finishing the edit (and committing the multicam edits).

Do I decompose the sequence and re-link the new clips? Do I re-link the original Master Clips (i.e. the ones I created with the first transcode)? I've never really had much success with re-linking in the past so perhaps I've been doing it wrong! I was under the impression that you can only re-link to media files not AMA files...

And am I right in thinking that however you manage the re-link/transcode to final master resolution, you have to bring in EVERYTHING at full res (i.e. all of camera 1 regardless of how many shots you've used in the edit) as opposed to how a tape conform only brings in the parts of clips that you need?

Return to posts index

Andi Turner
on Feb 7, 2013 at 4:19:17 pm

I've figured it out (with some help from aaquitug on Youtube).

Start in a SD project, link to AMA Files, transcode to 10:1 and group.

Finish offline cut & commit multicam edits. Switch to an HD project, select the Sequence AND the original AMA clips and re-link the sequence to those AMA clips (this is the part I was getting confused by), then transcode the sequence to DNxHD 185 this creating new master clips and new avid media.

Does that sound right?

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
on Feb 7, 2013 at 4:42:53 pm

Yes it does. Though if you don't cut with the ".new files" generated by transcoding in v5.5 it should just relink upon re-mounting the ama volumes (and by taking your low res media offline). Don't decompose.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 7, 2013 at 4:47:35 pm

That's it!

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]