FORUMS: list search recent posts

questions about F55 XAVC codec to AVID workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Phoenix
questions about F55 XAVC codec to AVID workflow
on Feb 5, 2013 at 11:47:19 pm

Hello,

I've been researching possible workflows for a doc we'll be shooting soon.
The team is interested in the Sony F55 and I am trying to find specifics about a workflow through AVID, as I will be the one working with the footage.

My knowledge is mostly with FCP, and I know the camera and the codec have yet to be released, but I'm hoping to find out more specifics:

-Would I have to transcode the XAVC codec into another codec to be able to work in AVID?
-How much time would it take to transcode and import said footage expecting that we shoot in 4K XAVC Intra 422 60p?

If there is any other knowledge you have about this camera and AVID workflows It would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Sarah

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: questions about F55 XAVC codec to AVID workflow
on Feb 6, 2013 at 1:20:55 pm

Couple things to consider:

1. Avid does not have a 60p project format so you will most likely be working in a 60i (interlace) type project. This means that every frame becomes a field losing 1/2 the vertical resolution, but motion resolution should stay the same.
2. The 4K will be scaled to 1920x1080 as Media Composer tops out at HD resolution. This is the same workflow as with any other 2K+ camera format such as RED, etc.
3. You will want to transcode to a more "edit" friendly codec, so I would look to the more data conservative formats for interlace.

"Dailies" will most like be made in a dailies type system such as MTI, Baselight, Colorfront, etc. I "think" Resolve may have it now, but I am not sure. In these scenarios, make sure you define what the REEL ID is going to be (filename or otherwise) before the offline to ensure a smoother online reconform/relink.

Michael

Return to posts index

Sarah Phoenix
on Feb 6, 2013 at 4:23:31 pm

Thank you Michael!
Very helpful information.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 6, 2013 at 7:28:16 pm

I am told that Resolve 9.1 also support XAVC which gives you a solution to pursue as well.

Michael

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Feb 8, 2013 at 2:11:01 am

Though it was F65 and not F55 footage, I recently used Resolve 9.1 to transcode directly to Avid MXF files. It was very fast and the files dropped right in the media files folder - didn't even need fast import.

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

chris king
on May 2, 2013 at 5:53:56 am

The XAVC codc with Sony F55 seems not be able to supported well by Avid. There is a possible solution to edit Sony F55 video in Avid MC: try to transcode the XAVC files. You can search a video convert app to make it. Brorsoft Video Converter is the one I applied. It comes with the Avid natively supported format DNxHD codec.

http://video-playback-tips.com/

Return to posts index

vina zhang
on Jul 21, 2013 at 2:18:21 pm

?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]