FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid ISIS and Apple

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wyatt Keel
Avid ISIS and Apple
on Feb 5, 2013 at 12:27:49 am

Ok, about a year ago my office made the switch from Avid to Final Cut Pro. I am a little angry at Apple because they helped us plan out a large Final Cut Server workflow, but somehow forgot to mention that they would be discontinuing the application shortly after we bought it. We have been having problem after problem with it recently, and since Apple no longer supports it, they are of no help. Basically we are using our XSAN to store all of our media that we shoot (Canon, P2, R3D, etc...) and it was a very big investment, so getting rid/trading the current setup is out of the question. But we would really like to switch back to Avid. So I guess my big question is, if anyone knows if you can run Avid ISIS and XSAN on the same domain/network? We will still need the computers to be able to access our media on the XSAN side to import into Avid, and we use the Mac network for mail, calendar, Filemaker Pro Server, and a few other things. I know that since ISIS is all ethernet based so I am just wondering if you could run both simultaneously or if that is a no go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wyatt Keel
Producer - Chickasaw Nation Multimedia

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: Avid ISIS and Apple
on Feb 5, 2013 at 2:01:31 pm

Wyatt,

We were in your situation over a year ago... all Final Cut/X-SAN, and switched to AVID/ISIS. We did NOT get rid of the X-SAN and still use it for archiving, storage, and the occasional FCP project. We added the ISIS and storage into the mix. Here's what we did.

We left in place all of the dual ethernet cabling and fibre from the X-SAN install. In our server rooms, the ethernet terminates into patch panels. When we did the Avid/ISIS install, we added new cisco switches to conform to the ISIS specs. Our IT network has the ethernet organized into domains, so for example the XSAN had two separate domains, one for metadata and one for internet access. We simply added a third domain for the ISIS, and now depending on which NLE you want, we can plug the computer into one of three domains.

To answer your original question: NO... you shouldn't run everything on one domain.
It's kind of like that scene in Ghostbusters... you don't want to "cross the streams" or who knows what kind of havoc will ensue! Hope this helps.

mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]