FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking AMA-transcoded R3D master clips to new Redcine-X .mxf's

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Norris
Relinking AMA-transcoded R3D master clips to new Redcine-X .mxf's
on Feb 3, 2013 at 7:21:12 pm

For my current project, I ingested all of the raw R3D footage by AMA -> transcode to DNxHD 36 for offline editing. The cut is done and I output an EDL to REDCINE-X, colored in there, and output DNxHD 175 files.

I've dropped the new DNxHD 175 files into my MediaFiles folder and have full access to them within Avid. The issue is relinking my timeline to them.

As I've discovered from other posts, linking to AMA then transcoding produces a different source file name than REDCINE-X does when outputting. I wish I had known this before, I would have just done the initial transcode to DNxHD 36 in REDCINE, but alas, I did not. I've tried using the "ignore extensions" function, but any combination of that doesn't seem to work.

My question, is has anyone found a way to successfully relink R3D footage that was brought in via AMA to transcodes from REDCINE-X? Or am I stuck with a few days of overcutting...

Thanks for any answers / suggestions!

--Avid 6.0.1, OSX 10.8, Mac Pro 5,1

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Relinking AMA-transcoded R3D master clips to new Redcine-X .mxf's
on Feb 3, 2013 at 8:29:42 pm

In addition to the ignore extensions, you need to make sure you have "Tape or Source File" selected in the relink dialog. I also find that right clicking sequence and clicking "relink" helps. 6.5 added much needed additional functionality in this area, unfortunately it is still a bit of hunting and pecking to get right the first time.

I really wish Avid would fix the R3D AMA so that is uses the filename without the extension like every other application that uses the SDK from RED. It would be one less thing to have to worry about.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Norris
on Feb 3, 2013 at 9:02:45 pm

Thanks for the tip. I've also discovered that with Avid 6.5 (possibly 6 as well?) you can choose to relink one metadata value (clip name, source name, etc.) on the sequence side, to a different one on the target side. I haven't had a chance to work this out yet, but I think that, in combination with ignoring extensions, could somehow make this work. As you said though, hunting and pecking will certainly be involved.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 3, 2013 at 9:24:07 pm

v6 allowed between Tape and Source File. v6.5 allowed relink between any column that might have the source file name stored or other REEL ID that might be used. For example, Arri Alexa ProRes puts an 8 character REEL ID into header that AMA does not support but can be merged in via ALE and stored in a Labroll or Camroll column. 6.5 would allow that column to be used.

I have had success with relinking, but never the first time... have fun!

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]