FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Avid AMA to connect to ARRI ALEXA prores quicktimes

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gwen Jones
Using Avid AMA to connect to ARRI ALEXA prores quicktimes
on Feb 1, 2013 at 6:53:02 am

I was given an EDL for a television shot that was edited with an Avid DNX codec (was not informed of the format) and I need to reconnect the Avid sequence to the raw ALEXI ARRI prores quicktime files from the cameras card. I was given a drive with the low res mxf files and pro res 4444 master quicktimes. Now I have tired using the AMA to relink the clips from the decomp'd sequence to the prores files but Avid creates the pro res clips as AMA files but doesn't reconnect the clips or the sequence. I can't transcode the footage because I need to export an image sequence with the raw files. I don't know if Avid is capable of this, I've read the ALEXA digital workflow guide and it seems like it is but I think I am missing a step. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as always its a time sensitive matter. I am using Avid Media Composer 6.5 and running off a PC Windows 7, 64 bit.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Using Avid AMA to connect to ARRI ALEXA prores quicktimes
on Feb 1, 2013 at 1:07:22 pm

When you look at the events in the original Avid timeline, how are the original ProRes source files labeled? When working with Arri ProRes, it can either be tracked using the entire filename or the shortened 8 character Reel ID embedded in the file.

See: http://www.avid.com/static/resources/documents/whitepapers/digital_camera/d...

For details on workflow and naming.

If they used the shortened 8 character Reel ID on the original sources, and you are using AMA for the conform it will not work as AMA (still) does not extract Reel ID from QT if available. There is a workaround if you have access to the original ALE file that was created at time of shoot for each card. It contains both filename and REEL that can be merged and have that information added to the bin. You would then need to have v6.5 to allow relinking across different columns.

Michael

Return to posts index

Gwen Jones
on Feb 1, 2013 at 6:23:45 pm

Hi
Thank you so much for your post I appreciate the quick response. The clip names when I decomp the sequence are A016C021.new01 and I know that if it says .new the AMA doesn't work or relink or so I've heard or should I not decomp the sequence? When I use the AMA to relink to a volume it brings the clips in as Pro Res and they are named A016027_1301117_R36L which matches the source files from the ALEXA. I am trying to determine if I need to get something different from this show or if they provided me with the correct materials. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 1, 2013 at 7:01:30 pm

The .new is not an issue but it does tell me that the sources are being tracked by the shorter 8 character name. You will see that in a column called "Tape".

That being the case, you won't be able to relink regardless of AMA or not. I would suggest that you download an application called "MetaCheater" do a google search and you will find it. This will create an ALE that extracts the REEL ID to which you can merge into your AMA clips. Or you may have access to the original ALE from the camera. Either way, that info needs to be merged into the AMA'd clips to have the 8 character file name tracked. From there, you will most likely need MC v6.5 to allow relinking to an alternate column.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jon Hensen
Re: Using "Relink" to Up-Res from Avid DNxHD to Arri Alexa ProRes 4444
on Jul 20, 2015 at 9:57:48 pm

You have the AMA linked media physically open in bins in your project right? If not, create AMA bins and go through your re-link steps again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]