FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MC6.5 Spinning Wheel of Death - Constant and Nothing Specific!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicola Castle
Avid MC6.5 Spinning Wheel of Death - Constant and Nothing Specific!
on Jan 24, 2013 at 1:37:33 am

I just installed the trial version of 6.5 in order to edit a show offsite that is all Linked to AMA's. The project was set up by someone else so there may be something odd or corrupted that happened on their part.

Almost every time I move from one thing to the next (Timeline to Bin; Title Tool to Bin; Another Program to Avid, etc), I get the wheel and then have to force quit. Because of my limited schedule I haven't gone too far down the track of fixing, and am saving the file every 2mins then going through the pain of restarting. But it's driving me mad!

I've switched everything over from a USB drive to my harddrive; changed user settings; turned off harddrive sleep; checked all the forums!

Is this just an AMA problem? It's Canon footage and EX together. Also some of my canon footage shows up as green frames fairly regularly.

Oh! I just opened a bin I just created yesterday and got "The application binary file has been corrupted, please reinstall the system".

Can anyone help? I only have a few more days to fulfill this complex editing task.

I'm using Lion on my iMac 10.7.5 - 3.4 GHz i7, 8GB Memory and AMD Raden HD 6970M 2048 MB

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Avid MC6.5 Spinning Wheel of Death - Constant and Nothing Specific!
on Jan 24, 2013 at 2:31:18 pm

is your footage Canon 5d? I wouldn't try to AMA cut with that, i would transcode...maybe try dnx 36, edit and relink, and then transcode your final piece to HighRes.

These forums are filled with recommendation after recommendation of "transcode for your edit" and
"dont try to ama cut with h.264 footage.

Simple test...link to 1 group of shots, maybe 5 or 6 shots even, and transcode to actual media, then close all your other bins up, open a new sequence, and see if you can get the box to crash with the transcoded media.

If the transcodes fail on on some of the clips, this may indicate some corrupt source footage.

If it seems to transcode fine, but still crashes, you might need to re-install. I always question the fear of re-installing. People treat it like it kills their entire day to do so, when in reality it shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 mins. I'd rather spend a quick 15 mins on a re-install to see if that fixes the problem, than struggle for hours with an obviously corrupt system.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]