FORUMS: list search recent posts

Window Arrangement Bug

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam White
Window Arrangement Bug
on Jan 21, 2013 at 7:52:56 pm

Hi All,

I'm a recent AVID-switcher from FCP (at least, starting to move over to Avid where I can). Currently on Avid MC 6.5.

Generally getting much more comfortable with the software now, but I do keep coming across a really irritating bug that I wondered if anyone had experience with/advise for resolving.

I will frequently get a couple of weird bugs with my workspace window layout. I have a second monitor attached to my iMac, which I usually use for full screen playback. I have set-up a couple different workspaces with the windows laid out accordingly (so all windows in my main iMac display). However, sometimes when I open Avid these custom settings go haywire and it throws the composer window into my second monitor (not what I want), and bunches up the other windows (project/bins/timeline etc) all over the shop/on top of each other etc. Basically a mess. Resetting to my custom layout sometimes works to correct this, but other times it doesn't and I have to manually re-arrange the windows (tedious).

Another really odd thing has happened recently, too. I used the timewarp tool on an edit, but for some reason the timewarp window now always appears by default when any project is opened. Annoyingly, the top of the window with the close button has hidden itself somewhere off the top of the screen and I can't get to it to close the window - I even tried "hiding" the mac osx top toolbar with an app to see the close window button but it still can't be seen even. I can click the other windows (composer/project) ot bring them to the foreground and send the timewarp window to the back but it seems like an odd bug and it's a bit irritating having to do this every time.

Any advice welcome, hopefully I'm not the only one who's found this.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Window Arrangement Bug
on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:18:35 pm

[Adam White] "Resetting to my custom layout sometimes works to correct this, but other times it doesn't and I have to manually re-arrange the windows (tedious)."

It's been my observation that there are a bunch of bugs that are related to multiple monitors on OSX. If I tweak the arrangement of the monitors? Haywire.

[Adam White] "the timewarp window now always appears by default"
I suspect you saved it as part of a workspace. Reset the workspace and that should fix it.

Alternatively, you can try to turn off your second monitor (set it to mirroring, without MC running, then run MC) and you should get the ability to get the window back.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jan 23, 2013 at 1:49:53 am

yea on a similiar setup, what i do is set the main imac 27" to be 1920x1080 while my second monitor is set to he same and is only 24 inches. i fin this resolution to work best with avid and it lets me open the source/record to its full expansion.

i set and save the workspace exactly how i like. Then as long i open Avid with the main monitor set to 1920x1080 res, everything works as it should, switching through spaces with ease, always remembers. However if i accidentally open Avid and the main monitor is back at 2560x1440 (which i use for other apps like davinci), then it gets all screwy, non of workspaces are right, and even if i switch back to 1980x there screwy and i have to set up and save them all over again. Kind of a pain, not sure the deal but it defiantly has something to do with monitor of different size cause on my work setup with dual 23 cinema displays this doesn't happen at all, no matter what./

Hope this helps.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Adam White
on Jan 27, 2013 at 11:30:15 am

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try out your suggestions and see if they help any. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]