FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Transfer Slows Down after about 8 minutes of Consolidating

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tj Alston
XDCAM Transfer Slows Down after about 8 minutes of Consolidating
on Jan 20, 2013 at 11:31:52 pm

Hello All,

Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place, but I did not see a forum dedicated to XDCAM.

Workflow:

XDCAM drive is plug into the Mac Pro using USB 3.0.
Load the disk into the XDCAM drive (Song XL-QD).
When the bin appears in Avid I drag the clips into a new sequence, select all tracks and consolidate the media to a physical drive as DNX 175 media.

The issue:

About 7 to 8 minutes into the consolidation the drive begins to make a noise that sounds like it is reading the disc. At this point the speed of the consolidation drops drastically. When the drive is silent it transfers at a ratio of about 3.5 to 1. When the drive begins making a noise the ratio changes to 1 to 3.5.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with this particular XDCAM drive and is there anything I can do to fix it? Right now I am consolidating clips that are 40 to 60 minutes long, so the consolidation is taking as long as 3.5 hours per clip.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: XDCAM Transfer Slows Down after about 8 minutes of Consolidating
on Jan 21, 2013 at 5:30:57 am

Not familiar with the Sony XL-QD, but I worked on a show recently that was using U1 and U2 readers. Interestingly enough, despite the U2 being advertised for faster transfers and USB 3.0 connectivity, we saw better performance from the U1 drives. In any event, I did see some pretty large transcoding times especially with 59.94i material as opposed to 23.976.

In our case, all transcoding was being done at night and we and 8 readers so it wasn't the end of the world. Since you mentioned you're using USB 3.0, are you using a Cal Digit USB 3.0 card? I'd check for any software that might be bundled with your USB 3.0 card first.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Tj Alston
Re: XDCAM Transfer Slows Down after about 8 minutes of Consolidating
on Jan 21, 2013 at 7:00:58 am

Thanks for the reply!

The USB 3.0 card is a Cal Digit. We upgraded the drivers this past Friday, so I can only assume that they are up to date.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]