FORUMS: list search recent posts

Arbitrary cadence setting for output video?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Reitenour
Arbitrary cadence setting for output video?
on Jan 19, 2013 at 8:01:21 pm

Hi all:

I couldn't find this online or in a search of the forums, so thought I'd post it as a question to the group.

I've inherited the family's collection of 8mm home movies, and eventually I'm going to have them telecined (as individual frames) and then I'll edit it all together to put on a DVD.

From what I've found with my research, 8mm film (16 fps) needs a cadence of 3:4:4:4 to convert it to NTSC 29.97 - does MC (or any other Avid product) have the capability to set that for an output spec?

It also dawns on me that this might be beyond the capabilities of what any NLE currently on the market can do, so if anyone knows of an external program that would be better for the job that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

--
GregR

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Arbitrary cadence setting for output video?
on Jan 20, 2013 at 1:53:51 pm

How are you distributing this? NTSC or 1080i? Do you really want an interlace master? There are fewer and fewer CRT/Interlace screens in this world with most of it being flat... something to consider.

As far as rate goes, just do the math to which a motion effect would get applied to return it actual play rate depending on project type. Lets assume a project rate that is progressive at either 29.97p or 23.976p. Keeping numbers whole for sake of math and percentage relationship:

16fps is 53% of 30 (29.97)
16fps is 66% of 24 (23.976)

Put a motion effect (adapter) on the first clip in the timeline, go to its settings and set the type you want (see what looks best in your opinion) and set speed as the percentage above depending on project type. The motion effect will do the cadence needed.

Michael

Return to posts index

Greg Reitenour
on Jan 22, 2013 at 9:29:49 am

[Michael Phillips] "How are you distributing this? NTSC or 1080i? Do you really want an interlace master? There are fewer and fewer CRT/Interlace screens in this world with most of it being flat... something to consider."

Agreed - but we've still got one (and maybe two) "legacy" NTSC CRT screens in the family, so that's the common denominator (with maybe a progressive version being generated for the rest).

[Michael Phillips] "As far as rate goes, just do the math to which a motion effect would get applied to return it actual play rate"

Excellent idea, thanks! Wish I'd thought of that, I think you just solved my cadence problem with just a short keyboard entry and a mouse click. :-)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 23, 2013 at 2:13:41 am

Just keep in mind that progressive content will always look good on an interlace monitor while interlace on a progressive monitor is not always the case.

Michael

Return to posts index

Greg Reitenour
on Jan 23, 2013 at 2:47:47 am

[Michael Phillips] "Just keep in mind that progressive content will always look good on an interlace monitor while interlace on a progressive monitor is not always the case. "

Only problem with that idea is (as I mentioned above) we still have at least one legacy CRT TV/monitor in the mix, and as far as I know they don't have a clue about progressive video (I'll probably do the project in progressive and add the interlace when outputting for those who need it).

--
GregR

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 23, 2013 at 2:58:48 am

But that what I'm saying, you can keep it progressive as 29.97p and it will look fine on a CRT as well as interlace monitors. No need to introduce interlace into the file at all.

Michael

Return to posts index

Greg Reitenour
on Jan 23, 2013 at 3:03:55 am

But if it's a TV/monitor that only displays NTSC (i.e. interlaced), what is it going to do with a progressive signal? I don't think it has the circuits for that.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 23, 2013 at 12:23:52 pm

Assuming a DVD delivery, it does not matter. For example, all Hollywood movies on DVD are 23.976 progressive on disc - the player turns it into a compatible NTSC signal. The same for 29.97 - the frame rate would be there, but the content frames would be progressive, they would just play as interlace.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]