AVCHD workflow for final SD DVCAM master

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bartek Zee
AVCHD workflow for final SD DVCAM master
on Jan 19, 2013 at 12:30:59 pm

Dear Forum,

here is my scenario:

I am about to cut a half hour documentary from about 30 hours of AVCHD footage, shot on Sony FS100. I need to import into MC 5.5.3 but I am not sure exactly what codec is acceptable for a master on PAL-DVCAM and internet. My project will be down-converted for broadcast in SD.

Since drive space is an issue for me can I:

-import at DNxHD 36 or Apple ProRes Proxy via FCP and still be fine for the final PAL master? The internet file will be compressed H.264 so I reason the lossy/offline codecs here are fine?

-or must I import at a higher data rate codec?

-is Clipwrap ok for the conversion here? I believe MC 5.5 can't do AMA then transcode.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brendan Maghran
Re: AVCHD workflow for final SD DVCAM master
on Jan 19, 2013 at 5:21:01 pm

You should definitely ingested at a higher rate than dnx 36 or prores proxy precisely the reasoning that youre going to lose quality going to the web. If you just rewrap the avchd files into a qt file then import ive always found it works better

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 19, 2013 at 9:04:42 pm

If you were on v6 or later, I'd suggest using AMA and doing a direct edit or an AMA & transcode and then edit.

Since you're on 5, you need to get the files into the Avid and AMA won't help.

[Bartek Zee] "-is Clipwrap ok for the conversion here? I believe MC 5.5 can't do AMA then transcode.
"

Sure can. Just convert to whatever DNxHD is appropriate for your resolution/fps - an example: 145 is fine for 1080/60i.

[Bartek Zee] "what codec is acceptable for a master on PAL-DVCAM and internet. My project will be down-converted for broadcast in SD."

Well, PAL DVCAM is DVCAM 25. It's pretty horrible. Likely you're going to deck? Don't even worry about this. Let the avid do this.

Internet? Again - I wouldn't worry about this - use Squeeze at the end of your work to give you a decent quality file for your Internet destination. You don't say what's the intended output (self hosted, Youtube, vimeo, etc) so I can't be more specific than that.

[Bartek Zee] "-import at DNxHD 36 or Apple ProRes Proxy via FCP and still be fine for the final PAL master? The internet file will be compressed H.264 so I reason the lossy/offline codecs here are fine?
"

Don't do this. Don't ever use a proxy unless you intend to do an offline/online workflow. Proxy files are never to be output. Ever.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

Bartek Zee
on Jan 20, 2013 at 10:31:21 am

Thanks you all for the good advice. I am clear on not using offline files for mastering to Pal.

But just one more question...

I will go with DNx 120 (this being 1080p25 material), wrapped via Clipwrap to a 2TB drive. Then I may or may not ingest to .mxf and just go thought AMA with wrapped DNx Quicktime files until my online? Not sure on this part...Do I need to further ingest these files into Avid after Clipwrapping them?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 20, 2013 at 6:15:46 pm

If you have the ability to get to mxf directly from Clipwrap, great. I don't think it does that.

Can you go through AMA as QuickTime? Sure. You'll have to consolidate at some point.

Import is essentially doing a consolidate as long as it says "Fast Import" - That's the best speed you can get via import - as it just copies the media out of the qt container and places it in MXF.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]