FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing source footage in AVID

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Chappell
Changing source footage in AVID
on Jan 18, 2013 at 9:20:53 pm

I've searched all over for an answer to this to no avail, so I am consulting the avid gurus of this forum:

It's pretty basic, which is why its driving me crazy, but how do I change the source of a video clip in Avid with a different name and directory? I was given an EDL and I am supposed to link the offline media clips with one reference quicktime. Unfortunately, it doesn't match any of the "tape" info in the EDL. It's pretty much a reference for cuts, and I want to override the clip information to read from one giant clip composed of several cuts.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
Re: Changing source footage in AVID
on Jan 18, 2013 at 10:22:51 pm

Kate,

I'm not sure you can do this. The reference QT will have only continuous timecode, if it has timecode at all, and presumably your various clips had timecodes referencing multiple source clips, correct? If so, then your timecodes will never match your QT ref, no matter what the tape name is.

Am I understanding your situation correctly?

Chris

Return to posts index

Kate Chappell
on Jan 21, 2013 at 3:24:47 pm

Hi Chris,

I am pretty sure that you do. The when i line up the edl cuts and the reference quicktime on two separate video tracks, they line up, its just that I want the edl to reference the quicktime instead of its original sources.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jan 21, 2013 at 6:36:23 pm

Yes, they should line up cut for cut. But the QT reference will have continuous timecode from the beginning to the end, and the original clips from which the QT reference was made each have individual timecodes (as well as tape sources) that have nothing to do with the QT reference. So your edl will never properly match the QT reference: the source columns will be referencing timecodes that don't exist in it.

In essence, I guess, you could use a text editor and change all "sources" to your QT file, and then simply copy the "record side" timecodes into the "source side" columns. That might work.

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]