FORUMS: list search recent posts

This is going to sound like a question from the Flintstone, but can I upgrade AVID Xpress Pro 2003v.4.0?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Fragola
This is going to sound like a question from the Flintstone, but can I upgrade AVID Xpress Pro 2003v.4.0?
on Jan 18, 2013 at 6:26:00 pm

I'm more of a writer/director as opposed to a tech guy as far as editing (so I don't know much about computers and specs, etc).
And I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if it's even possible to upgrade Avid Xpress Pro 2003v.4.0 to Media Composer (or even just Avid Xpress Pro HD as that would at least help)? ... or is the system I have here just too outdated to even handle an upgrade?
Thanks.
Dean
kelofnyc@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: This is going to sound like a question from the Flintstone, but can I upgrade AVID Xpress Pro 2003v.4.0?
on Jan 18, 2013 at 8:16:07 pm

you can always upgrade your dongle...avid is pretty good about that.

Whether your system can handle it depends on your system...you gave no specs. More than likely you would need some new hardware.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Dean Fragola
Re: This is going to sound like a question from the Flintstone, but can I upgrade AVID Xpress Pro 2003v.4.0?
on Jan 18, 2013 at 10:04:27 pm

Hi Glenn,
I appreciate the help ... as well as the possible good news that I can indeed update my AVID even though it's like 7 years old.
Like I mentioned, I'm a writer/director, so computer specs are not my forte, but I just looked up the stats on the system here and it's AVID Xpress Pro 2003.v.4.0
4G ram
Intel Pentium4 - 3.4Ghz Ext. Ed (800MHz) 2MB L2 Cache
Based on that, do you think my system could handle Avid Media Composer?
Will I need to get a new video card (conducive to HD content)?
And again, I know I sound rather ignorant in regards to computer jargon, but how do I actually "upgrade"? ... just buy Media Composer and then install in right over Xpress Pro? ... and if so, what then happens to all the pics, files, media, effects, segments, sounds, etc that are currently in the bins of my Xpress Pro software? ... I have to try and find a way to save all that media somewhere, and then re-load everything into the newly installed Media Composer?
Thanks so much for your help.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 19, 2013 at 9:57:44 am

You can upgrade the software ok but you'll need a new computer. That I'd one won't run windows 7 64bit.
Time for a new computer.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Dean Fragola
on Jan 19, 2013 at 3:42:08 pm

Hey Pat,
Thanks for the advice.
Is there anyway I can just "gut" this computer and put in a new processor, Windows 7, and new video & sounds cards? As my concern is how to do get hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours of video as well as thousands of pics onto a new computer at this point?
And my other question is, once I upgrade AVID from Xpress Pro to Media Composer, it is such a jump in technology that Media Composer then won't even find all my files, media and projects that I currently have on my hard drives in Xpress Pro?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 19, 2013 at 3:58:40 pm

[Dean Fragola] "Is there anyway I can just "gut" this computer and put in a new processor, Windows 7, and new video & sounds cards? "

No. You're going to need a new system.

[Dean Fragola] "And my other question is, once I upgrade AVID from Xpress Pro to Media Composer, it is such a jump in technology that Media Composer then won't even find all my files, media and projects that I currently have on my hard drives in Xpress Pro?"

You're best bet is to make a new project in Media Composer with the same name as your Xpress Pro project, then copy the bins over at the desktop level. Everything else will be good to go. Media Composer might update your sequences if necessary, but I'd be surprised if you lose any work. Avid is pretty well known for forward/backward compatibility.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 19, 2013 at 7:53:43 pm

Just not worth bothering with the old kit. The cost will be in the new MB CPU and RAM. Much better to buy a new complete system. Ideally a system certified for Avid use.
As others have said. Media should move across fine. The best avice is to make new projects with the same name and copy the bins you need over. Also re-create new user settings don;t bring your old ones across.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Dean Fragola
on Jan 19, 2013 at 10:17:22 pm

I really appreciate the advice ... as I now realize that I do indeed need to go with a new system. Any idea what a decent system would run me? As I looked up some custom AVID system and I almost fell off my chair as they were starting in the $8,000 range.

"DreamStation-MC32 for AVID Media Composer

...starting at $7995...

Take a look at this system if your want the fastest rendering available, and and large amounts of RAM. You can add up to 128GB of RAM with this system for incredible performance with large files."

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jan 20, 2013 at 9:35:38 am

Find a refurbished HP Z800 or Z400 and you'll be good for some years. Or get a full-blown Z820 which will set you back more but will last longer.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 20, 2013 at 10:10:39 am

[Job ter Burg] "Find a refurbished HP Z800 or Z400 and you'll be good for some years. Or get a full-blown Z820 which will set you back more but will last longer."

Brillinat machines the HP Z range. We have 400's and an 800 and they are really well built and fast. I hope to grab an 820 as soon as I can. The PCIe 3 internal bus will allow my SSD RAID to run at close to 1TBps without the two controller cards I currently need.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jan 20, 2013 at 12:28:49 pm

Love my Z800 as well.

Return to posts index

Dean Fragola
on Jan 20, 2013 at 5:18:39 pm

Thanks guys, as you have all been incredibly helpful.
So where do I get a good deal on these HP Z800 systems? Do I have to get it custom built with certain specs?
And then I have to buy Media Composer from scratch (since I'm now not just upgrading Xpress Pro on my old system, right)?
And then what do I do with all this (hundreds of hours) of media and projects on my current system? ... use transfer cables to load all of this into the entirely new computer system?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 20, 2013 at 5:38:15 pm

I'm not sure express is an upgrade path for Media Composer. Woth checking on the Avid store for what qualifies.

The Avid web store also has the required specs for PC and Mac so start there.
The new HP machiens are the Z420 and Z820 so if you want an older and cheaper Z400 or Z800 you may have to lok for used or referbished.
ebays a good start.

If the media lives on your old computer drive you can take that out and mount it on the new computer to transfer.

Pat Horridge
VET

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]