FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM transcode via AMA creates "ghosting/frame blending" SOMETIMES?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason gallagher
XDCAM transcode via AMA creates "ghosting/frame blending" SOMETIMES?
on Jan 17, 2013 at 6:17:21 am

Ok, here's the deal--

Mounted a drive with XDCAM footage shot on the EX3 with Media Composer 6.x

Footage was 1080p/23.976

Project is 1080i/59.94

Linked to AMA volume, saw the files in a bin.

Transcoded to DNX145, clicked "convert" when prompted as media frame rate etc didn't match project.

Most of footage was fine, Avid did a great job in transcoding and pull-down/up or whatever. SOME of the footage created some ghosting/frame blending effect.

ALSO--I wasn't present when footage was transcoded. AE did the work, then when I came in and re-transcoded funky footage, no problem, no "ghosting."

What setting was wrong? I can't figure it out. Not sure why it didn't work before, and now it does just fine.

Any ideas?

Thx
Jason

PC, MC 6.x (not sure rest of info matters on my system, let me know)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: XDCAM transcode via AMA creates "ghosting/frame blending" SOMETIMES?
on Jan 17, 2013 at 2:56:57 pm

When going from 23.976 progressive to 59.94 interlace, there is a 2:3 pulldown adapter added to the media. In a typical 2:3 pulldown, every 5 frames will consist of 2 blended frames:

AA BB BC CD DD

What I don't know is how consistent that pattern is created or if the "A" frame always falls on timecodes ending on 0 and 5, or if it is first frame of clip. I need to check on that.

Michael

Return to posts index

jason gallagher
on Jan 17, 2013 at 3:53:56 pm

Right, that sounds logical. But what I couldn't understand was why it happened on some clips with my AE, but no clips when I did it the next day. Wondering if there was a setting that was different, can't find anything on any forum about it. The footage looks great now, just trying to avoid the problem in the future.

Thanks for the response!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 18, 2013 at 2:54:29 pm

Fire your AE... ;) just joking. I think it is a "ghost in the machine" where it got caught in a random frame start issue.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]