FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create text doc of Imported archive clips with durations and TCs used in edit ?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
Create text doc of Imported archive clips with durations and TCs used in edit ?
on Jan 14, 2013 at 9:47:35 pm

Apologies, I've also poste din the Avid forums about this.

My goal is to output an ALE or EDL - essentially a plain text document that I can give to an archive person that reflects the Imported archive clips and stills used in the timeline. This should reflect duration of the clips/stills being used in the cut (not the entire master clip) and their source In and Out points / TCs, so specific portions of clips can be ordered/licensed.

What I've done as a test is to decompose a copy of the sequence as follows:
- Unchecked Offline media only (because the media is online and I want it to stay that way)
- Imported clips only (everything was Imported and has a Source File name atatched to it)
- 0 frames for handle
- Create New Sequence (why not?)
- Expert Decompose (don't really think this applies to what I need)
OK

But this only seems to reflect the original master clips one time, when what I need is the duration of the video and audio tracks (because some times audio lasts longer than video), and I need the source In and Out of the clips, so the archive person can know what part of the clip(s) to license.

I've search through books and online, but there doesn't seem to be anyone asking how to do this, but I know this is not unusual because I've worked on many FCP projects where I easily exported an EDL with this information.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I reach the goal?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Create text doc of Imported archive clips with durations and TCs used in edit ?
on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:49:09 am

An EDL from Media Composer:

Event #
Source (Either from TAPE or SOURCE FILE column
Transition type (Cut, Dissolve...)
Source TC IN
Source TC OUT
Record Side IN
Record Side OUT

Comments field such as clip name.

Most common EDL is CMX3600 which supports up to 8 character for SOURCE.
File_16 and File_32 will support 16 an 32 characters accordingly.

Other EDL types may include the duration, but CMX does not and needs to be calculated from the IN-OUT.

A decompose can have START END and DURATION columns applied, but it will not be a complete list if the same shot was used twice - the process may optimize into one clip.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
Re: Create text doc of Imported archive clips with durations and TCs used in edit ?
on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:19:39 am

Ok. I will be testing this out.

I was told that EDLs take a long time, which is why I bring up ALE. Can shot footage and narration be disregarded from the EDL?

What do you mean by "Event #" ?

And I don't recall all these being part of column display? Is this chosen in the EDL manager?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 15, 2013 at 1:16:36 pm

I was describing the breakdown of an EDL since you mentioned having used EDLs with Final Cut Pro. An EDL meets specifications by vendor and have existed as CMX, Grass Valley, Sony, etc. all matching their linear tape controller providers' specifications. EDL in general is a 30+ year old technology of which many of the vendors don't even exist anymore, or are the original products being used. But for better or worse, the industry returns to as the most simplified, limited description of a composition.

"Compositionaly" speaking, Media Composer outputs the following lists:

EDL - timecode based in industry formats
AAF - open industry standard in binary format with complete composition metadata of sources and sequence. Being a binary format, it is not intended to be opened and viewed but exported and imported into supporting systems first, then viewed and manipulated. For example, sending an AAF to Pro Tools or to Resolve or Smoke.
FilmScribe - FilmScribe is actually an Avid application that outputs sequence information in a variety of formats depending on use. WHile originally designed for film based elements in feature film, it handles all source type metadata and can export as printed report, XML, HTML, and TAB. There are a variety of report types within it based on film workflow vernacular such as assemble, pull, scene pull, and scan. This one may be your best bet, but would take a little ramp up time to best understand how to generate reports if you've never used it before. Find a film assistant... ;)
Sequence Report - Right-clicking a sequence allows for a report to be generated, but this is a rather limited view of the sequence and is rather geared towards a list of plug-ins and such that were used when doing an online on a different system to ensure a full conform.
Stock Footage Report - While ideally this would be the one you would use, it is currently limited to the in-app stock footage market available since v6 of Media Composer and currently only works with T3 Media formerly Thought Equity. And while some stock footage data fields are available as bin columns, they cannot be populated by a user - only via the transaction with the original vendor. In general I find the reports somewhat useful, but tend to fall apart when generating for several sequences at once (which it allows for).

So as you can see, lots of different export functions, but none are clearly targeted for your need other than the last one which is currently only offered with a single vendor. As mentioned, your best bet is to look at FimScribe, and if you don't have any XML experience for parsing, look at the TAB based export as that can be imported into FileMaker Pro or Excel. I am assuming you have a column in the bin that designates the shot as being from stock (and not shot) and additionally who the vendor might be? Without that, sorting, sifting and extraction in reports becomes difficult or impossible.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 15, 2013 at 7:30:47 pm

Thanks for the rundown.

I'm wondering why the archive person said EDL or 'ALE because it's faster' if its not that useful in getting what they need.

You write, "your best bet is to look at FimScribe, and if you don't have any XML experience for parsing, look at the TAB based export as that can be imported into FileMaker Pro or Excel."

I don't have XML experience and don't know anything about FilmScribe. But how does it work? What might be the steps? Feel free to direct to a tutorial.

We have in-house vender codes that set themselves apart from shot footage. AMC 5-5.5. Not that much T3 if at all and we didn't start with their metadata.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 15, 2013 at 7:33:31 pm

If you want to send me a small sample of of one for your timelines in its own bin, zip it, and email it to me , I can export a TAB file via FilmScribe for you to see if that will work. Please send to michael[at]24p[dot]com

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:07:16 pm

Well what are the steps?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:24:33 pm

I hesitate, since you've never used FilmScribe before, it could end up being an exercise in frustration. If you want to get a sense of how it works, make sure it is installed on your system and read the User Guide. It is far faster for me to generate a TAB file to even see if it will give you what you need compared to writing up a lengthy step by step and the chance that it doesn't work.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 20, 2013 at 4:01:00 pm

Rosie -

My whole domain is down for the next 4 days or so - preventing me from updating you. But I did find a workaround method for the decompose bug for imported material, and created a TAB file, but the next thing you would have to deal with it the fact that the purpose of decompose is to create an optimized list of sources for reapture, import, etc. So with that as the design goal, it will only list any one source once combining the total frames as needed for what was used, rather than each time it is used as its own clip.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 21, 2013 at 4:24:47 am

Thanks for taking the time to keep helping figure this out!

Export ALE
In text editor edit Source File in the column line to be Tape
Import ALE into a new empty bin.
I change all the clip colors to green or something to know the relink worked
Highlight all clips from the ALE import
Highlight original sequence (you will need to change your bin display back to normal)
Right click on sequence and select "relink"

Here are some things I've encountered, right now while only being able to work without media:

- When the ALE was Exported, a Tape column automatically appeared. I deleted that tape column and changed Source File to Tape. When I Imported that ALE doc back into a fresh bin this message popped up: "An error occurred on event #(the number is here) A syntax error was detected while trying to parse a timecode field in the log entry." And I have to hit 'OK' 'QUIET' or 'ABORT.' For every single event. So for the heck of it, I hit 'OK' about 800 times. Tried it again, by hitting 'QUIET' and the result is the same, I guess. Issues or thoughts on this?

- "I change all the clip colors to green or something to know the relink worked" - do you just mean you highlighted these clips green seeing that they were online?

- "Highlight all clips from the ALE import, Highlight original sequence, Right click on sequence and select "relink"" - Are the ALE clips in the same Bin now as my Sequence? Should I put them together? I tried Relink in separate Bins; Selected items in All open Bins, Allow relinking to offline items, Match case when comparing tape and Source File name, Create new sequence (AMC 5.0+ if it matters compared to 6+).

- Then I immediately get the message "No clips were relinked. You may want to select "All Available Drives", deselect "Relink only to media from the current project", deselect "Match case when comparing tape names" or select "Relink to Any video format", and try the relink again." Now is this because (at this moment in time, I don't have any media with my project and everything is offline? I hit OK, and the new sequence is there, but I don't think it worked properly because, when I Match Frame, it's going to master clips in their original Bins. And when I Decompose, the media durations just show up as they had originally.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]