FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loading DNXHD directly into avid MediaFiles

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonas Bergmann
Loading DNXHD directly into avid MediaFiles
on Jan 11, 2013 at 1:01:33 pm

Hello out there,

1. I'd like to ask if it would be possible for me to load DNXHD files directly into Avid without transcoding in Avid, by placing them in the folders in the Avid_Root. Like where the DNX-files usually are placed; in the folders called: 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on.

2. If so, how many files or how much can I store in each folder?

3. Will I be able to load these files from multiple external drives or will I have to load them directly from the AVID_root, as usually?

Thanks
Jonas

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Loading DNXHD directly into avid MediaFiles
on Jan 11, 2013 at 1:17:12 pm

How are these MXF files being made? While MXF is a top level container format, there are different specifications of MXF referred to as OPAtoms. Media Composer needs to have all tracks as a separate MXF file, so a clip with video and 4 audio tracks would have 5 .MXF files to copy into the folder structure.

So it would be good to know what system is creating the MXF file to know whether it can be done or not. For example, Redcine X Pro and Resolve both use Avid's licensed AMT to make the files. These are native and can be dropped directly into the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 or whatever numbered folder you have.

I can't recall what the total number is off the top of my head - Media Composer manages this based on what the OS supports with some headroom. Once this number is hit, it will create a next numbered folder (2, 3, 4, etc.). Media Composer will always try to render, transcode, mixdown to 1, then move up even if you've designated folder 10, 11, and 12 for your project. You can't manage which numbered folder a project renders to. The only way to manage that is via drives or partitions dedicated to a project.

You can rename a numbered folder and Media Composer will continue to read from that folder, but any new items will not be indexed.

Perhaps Avid will allow for better media management at the project level in the future - but these methods may work, you just need to understand their limitations.

Michael

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 11, 2013 at 6:28:17 pm

Nott if they are QuickTime files.

If they are Avid MXF media... Yes you can.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:52:47 pm

[Jonas Bergmann] " 1. I'd like to ask if it would be possible for me to load DNXHD files directly into Avid without transcoding in Avid, by placing them in the folders in the Avid_Root. Like where the DNX-files usually are placed; in the folders called: 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on."

If you drop DNxHD MXF media in that folder, your avid will re-index that folder automatically. The negative is that your system won't know what project 'owns' the media. Media loaded this way must be consolidated (copied) to assign project ownership.

Where are you getting these files? I know coming off a BM camera or Ki Pro (and a couple of other solutions) can generate these MXF files.

[Jonas Bergmann] " 2. If so, how many files or how much can I store in each folder?"
As I recall, the number is 10,000. You can create other numbers (the one inside of Mediafiles is the number 1 - so it's Avid MediaFiles/1/ ). You can create a 2, 3, or whatever number you like. In some small way you could do this for raw media, making it easier to corral by project if you didn't consolidate as above

[Jonas Bergmann] " 3. Will I be able to load these files from multiple external drives or will I have to load them directly from the AVID_root, as usually?"
For the Avid to index (and 'see) the media, it must be in the root path.

QuickTime and AMA is something else.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Editor/Author/Speaker/Consulting
My NAB seminar schedule, contact info and more

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 12, 2013 at 9:26:07 am

The other trick if MC is happy with the files and scans them ok and creates the media databases. Drag the larger media database from finder/explorer and drop into an open MC bin and MC will populate the bin with all the clips in that folder.
Its an unsupported method but has worked fine for me and others.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]