FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transferring Avid project from PC to Mac

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan crouch
Transferring Avid project from PC to Mac
on Jan 11, 2013 at 9:56:20 am

I would like to take some work home this weekend from my PC Avid at work to use on my Mac at home, Snow Leopard. Both Avid Media Composer 5.

I have tried to copy MXF files to a drive and copy the project but nothing is working. The project is 'unable to open' and if I create a new project, open the bin within it it is offline.

Any help would be fantastic.
Cheers,
Dan.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Transferring Avid project from PC to Mac
on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:48:20 am

Should work fine, I do this all the time. Make sure that there are no permissions issues. Also, make sure the media is living in the right place; it can only be at the root level of a media drive, so X:/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/n (where 'n' can be any number).

Return to posts index

dan crouch
on Jan 11, 2013 at 11:16:32 am

Thanks for the post Joe,
I didn't do this. Should I create a new folder on my portable drive and call it 'Avid MediaFiles'

Cheers,
Dan.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 11, 2013 at 1:18:45 pm

You can just copy the Avid MediaFiles folder from the source drive. If you create a new one, then make sure you don't copy Avid MediaFiles into a folder called Avid MediaFiles or Media Composer will not see the media.

Michael

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jan 11, 2013 at 3:10:30 pm

Here's so I did several times on a past job:

My work machine was a windows machine, so I formatted my portable drive to NTFS, which allowed the Windows machine to consolidate media to that drive.

I then purchased a copy of Tuxera, which will allow your mac to read/write to that NTFS formatted portable drive.

The only catch was that my Avid project/bins had to exist on a mac formatted drive. So, I simply copied the project/bins to my mac desktop, while leaving all the Avid MediaFiles on the NTFS drive. Worked very well.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jan 12, 2013 at 10:27:34 am

Ah yes, drives for Macs and PC's are formatted differently, so you may need to take that into account. All my Macs have Paragon NTFS for Mac installed and all my PC's have MediaFour MacDrive installed, so I can use either NFTS or HFS+ drives.

Do note that it is not recommended to work with NTFS media drives on a Mac or HFS+ media drives on a PC. But it does work, I've done it often enough.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]