FORUMS: list search recent posts

Simple newbie questions

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
Simple newbie questions
on Jan 10, 2013 at 3:59:03 pm

I've been working on learning MC 6.5 off and on for the past three weeks using various instructional videos available from the COW and other sources. So far, most things have been fairly straightforward, but a few have this newbie to Avid completely stumped. So please take pity and help me fill in what are obviously gaps in my knowledge.

1.) The biggie: WHY can't I get still graphics to import? I've re-sized to 1920 x 1080 tried JPG, Tiff, EPS, PNG yet CONTINUALLY get the message: "Invalid file name" -- and this is even with the simplest single word names with these extensions. What am I missing and PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong and/or point me to reference material on importing stills.

2) I'm getting the same error message ("Invalid file name") when I try to import previously rendered .mov files. Does MC not like the H.264 codec? What DOES it want? Annimation or another un-compressed format?

3) And almost as maddening , some .wav files import yet others deliver the dreaded "Invalid file name" dialog box. Also, what in addition to WAV will it import?

I have more questions but don't want to ask too much this first time. Thanx in advance for any and all partial or complete answers.

Return to posts index

James Patterson
Re: Simple newbie questions
on Jan 10, 2013 at 4:34:53 pm

Have you check the folder structure from the file you're trying to import down to the root? If there are Illegal characters on one of the folders you can get problems.

When bringing in footage you should AMA then consolidate/transcode rather that import, it's quicker and better for workflow (Import is sill the option for stills/gfx etc). H.264 is fine to bring in to MC but it's terrible to edit with, you'll need to transcode it in Avid.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 10, 2013 at 5:19:31 pm

in addition to the folder containing the files, the filename itself may have something in it that isn't liked.

On AMA - do not AMA BWF audio as timecode will be all over the place. Import.

Michael

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:12:09 pm

James & Michael -

Thank you! That's it!!

As part of my file by month system I've been using spaces in front of month names to get them to sort properly when viewed in list view or open dialog boxes. This is the first application that's ever had a problem with that hierarchy. But once I brought things to the root level the "Invalid file name" problem vanished.

As to import vs. AMA, guess I'll have to do a little more study on when one is better than the other. My head is still stuck in the After Effects world where import is the only option. At least for now I can get things working. Again, Thanx!

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:15:40 pm

Even something as simple as a space at the beginning or end of the file name and before the dot preceding the extension will cause an "invalid file name" issue on import. Try renaming the clip to remove any possibly illegal characters or spaces and re-import.

M. Scott Cole
Senior Post Production Editor
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jan 10, 2013 at 7:41:28 pm

Thanx, Scott. Actually in my case it was more than the file names which I kept shortening and re-arranging trying to make the imports work. It's the ENTIRE file name, in other words the whole path wherein I had the spaces in front of folders within folders within folders. Who knew? Now I do. Again, thanx for taking the time to post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]