FORUMS: list search recent posts

question about going online from transcoded

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mr dirden
question about going online from transcoded
on Jan 8, 2013 at 5:22:14 pm

Hey. First time going online on avid. So, I ****ed up (so I understand) and I've edited using the transcoded .new clips. Here's exactly what I did:
1. linked ama files from my internal hard-drive, where the original proress canon 5d are.
2. transcoded the ama's to dnxhd60 (i'm in 720p 23.97fps project).
3. I had other avi's from another camera in 24fps, so I used another project to ama-link and transcode them (dnxhd36).
4. I went back to my 23.97 project and opened the 24project bin of the transcoded files.
5. edited everything with the transcoded files, from both bins.

I've read that I was supposed to edit with ama's linked to transcoded files, then relink to originals. Too late. Now, is there any way I can bring my really complicated timeline clips to original quality without re-editing everything, or am I stupid enough to just have to stay with the dnxhd quality?

Thanx

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: question about going online from transcoded
on Jan 8, 2013 at 6:40:29 pm

You did it right, you edited with the transcoded footage, not the original AMA linked files. That's what you should be doing.

After you are done editing, you then take the transcoded media offline (disconnect the drive), connect the drive containing the originals, and then relink to the originals. Then transcode those to a higher end DNxHD format. Unless you are going to online/grade with other software.

How are you intending to finish this?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

mr dirden
on Jan 8, 2013 at 6:54:51 pm

Hey Shane. Thanx for answering.
My originals are on the internal D drive, and the transcoded are on internal C drive. I cannot disconnect them. When I select the transcoded clips and right click them, the relink to Ama is blocked. Only the link to Ama is available. I didn't quite get what I'm supposed to do, so I'd be happy for a dummy-like explanation. :)

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jan 8, 2013 at 7:20:27 pm

Go to your internal drive where the transcodes are and find the Avid MediaFiles folder (it will be at the root of the drive - C:/Avid MediaFiles)

Rename is xAvid MediaFiles. This throws all the media offline.

Duplicate your sequence and select the duplicate (we'll relink this to the AMA footage.

Open all the AMA Bins and make sure that footage is online. If it is, hit Ctrl+A on every bin to select everything. Go back and select the duplicated sequence and choose to Relink. In the Relink menu choose to relink to Selected Items in ALL Open Bins and hit OK.

Sequence should relink to AMA footage.

When it's over, you can go back to your C: drive and remove the 'x' in Avid MediaFiles and the transcoded footage will come back online.

That's how I've done it on Symphony v6. I'm typing from memory, but I'm pretty sure I got all the steps down. Let us know if you run into errors.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

mr dirden
on Jan 9, 2013 at 9:33:26 am

Thanx Michael, sounds pretty easy, I'll try it when I get back home and let you know of the results.

Return to posts index

mr dirden
on Jan 10, 2013 at 10:39:11 pm

So - it worked well - thank u all. But now I have a new problem with sync, which I'll post in a new post. I'd be happy to get any help.
Thanx again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]